Chefs and the culinary art!

spuds 12:38 18 Oct 07

No doubt most people have watched one of the tv chef's cooking up a meal or tantrum. But would you really go overboard to taste, eat or purchase one of their masterpieces?.

Personally I see a rather large plate, with a minute 'taken ages to prepare' serving in the middle.

So is it the greasy spoon or the clean tablecloth with the man wearing a dicky bow?.

dagbladet 13:06 18 Oct 07

I've never experienced 'fine' cuisine.
Some of the over technical stuff sometimes appears too fussy to me;

"I'm going to start by searing the meat" - so far so good - "then I'm going to transfer it to a hot oven" - good, go on - "the sliced potatoes are sauteed in the hot meat fat" - fine, fine -"then i'm going to make a sauce of puréed ginger and garlic" - erm... - "and i'm going to serve it on a bed of caramalised betroot and stilton stuffed vine leaves" - STOP!

Then again, in fairness I've never tried it so I don't know. Most of the stuff they do in Ready Steady Cook looks great to me and I'd love to give it a try.

pj123 13:10 18 Oct 07

It's always been the greasy spoon for me.

I doubt very much whether most of the tv chefs have even heard of "bacon, egg and chips".

I remember seeing a tv programme where a television celebrity asked the "well known" chef for "egg on toast". The chef obviously didn't know how to do it and told the celeb to "go away"

dagbladet 13:16 18 Oct 07

Vic Reeves was being deliberatly obnoxious when he asked Gordon Ramsey for egg on toast. The premise of the programme was that the trainee chefs were attempting to make set dishes to his (Ramsey's) standards. Vic Reeves thought he would be clever, Ramsey told him to go forth...

dagbladet 13:17 18 Oct 07

deliberately

wee eddie 13:30 18 Oct 07

My real name is Edward Baines, I am a retired Restaurateur and did TV and Radio in the 80's. In other words, before this one was out of his nappies.

You must remember that what the Celebrity Chefs do is all about Entertainment, Fashion and Kudos. It has little to do with reality.

I lost my Radio Slot when I refused to cut an instruction from a broadcast on how to chose the best beef. They did not want me to tell people to look for the Marbling, the colour of the fat (which should not be bright white) and most of all to avoid any meat that was red/pink when raw! I think that the Show's sponsor was Safeways.

I was rubbish on TV and got no further than a couple of Guest appearances.

dagbladet 13:34 18 Oct 07

Is young Ed Baines any relation?

click here

Forum Editor 16:12 18 Oct 07

over the years(usually paid for by clients, I hasten to add), and I've certainly enjoyed the experience most of the time. What I've noticed is how the famous chefs are often completely different, once you see them off the telly. I met Gordon Ramsay at his resataurant in the Savoy, and found him totally different from his TV persona - he was the epitome of charm and friendliness. I also exchanged a few words with Raymond Blanc on one of several occasions that I've eaten at Le Manoir, and he's a delight, as is his restaurant/hotel. It's undoubtedly my favourite place of all, but I can't afford to go there very often, and at around £900 a night for a room I can't afford to stay there at all.

It's tempting to say 'These celebrity chefs are rubbish, you can get a better plate of food at your local Trattoria' but in my experience it's not true - the top chefs really do turn out a wonderful product.

Ambience counts for a lot as well, and if you really want to dine in what seems like heaven on earth, make your way to a restaurant called 'The Cliff' in Barbados. You'll think you're in a James Bond film, and the food's pretty good, too.

DrScott 16:44 18 Oct 07

that the most popular TV chefs didn't do so well on that BBC series where they had to cook for the Queen's birthday? - I can't remember the name of it mainly because of all the cooking shows!

Earthsea 16:52 18 Oct 07

The problem I've always had eating in restaurants is complete loss of appetite. I don't know what it is, perhaps being surrounded by people, but however hungry I might be beforehand I can hardly eat anything when it's served. Nothing to do with the food itself though, which is usually excellent. Mind you, I find pub grub just as good so maybe I'm just easily pleased.

Never met a famous chef, but did sit at a table next to Kenneth Conner once. He must have been in a bad mood because he didn't once do anything funny.

wee eddie 19:20 18 Oct 07

We are not related to the best of my knowledge, and he is a much better Chef than I ever was and comes out better on the telly.

I am hoping that they never resurrect my TV Debut attempt, I think that had they had any other material available at the time they'd probably have used mine. Mind you, I was really chuffed at the time, I still have the Tapes somewhere.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…