Cheap delivery ?

Dragon_Heart 21:26 23 Jul 08

I have noticed a worrying trend amongst Internet / catalogue stores, book and video clubs etc. that they use couriers who in turn sub let the work out to members of the public.

These folks arrive in private unmarked 'domestic' vehicles, no ID and if you are out when they call they fail to leave a card to say they have been or what day they will return, if they ever do.

Try and get some idea as to what day they may call it's always "7 to 10 days after dispatch from the retailer". Great help ?

I think this is a step too far.

interzone55 21:28 23 Jul 08

If you want cheap, you get poor service.

If you want a guaranteed service, then you have to pay for it...

rdave13 21:47 23 Jul 08

This has been happening for quite some time locally. Usually the 'members of the public' are vetted and well known in the area.
I think it works well in small towns and villages but as to Cities I don't know.

rdave13 21:54 23 Jul 08

Next is a big user of 'members of the public' and they arn't cheap on delivery or catalogue prices. The catalouge it's self costs!
If left to me I wouldn't use any of them.
I'm a grumpy old git ..or getting there.

Dragon_Heart 23:58 23 Jul 08

" If you want cheap, you get poor service. "

Not given choice !!!!!

Dragon_Heart 00:01 24 Jul 08

I know many of the poor folks are expected to deliver over 150 packages a day !

Chegs ®™ 03:18 24 Jul 08

I used to drive for a catalogue delivery sub-contractor,the contracted couriers vans would deliver dozens of sacks of parcels to my home,I then had to sort them all into districts and set to work trying to deliver the packages via my own car.I had business usage added to my insurance because of the number of times I would be stopped by police for "being seen entering the rear of a property" I would attempt to leave parcels with a neighbour,only to be told frequently "You'll have to find someone else,we dont speak" and all the start/stop motoring really stressed my car so it occasionally would break down.It was a very long day,delivering parcels from about 10am until often 9pm and frustrating as so many homes have no door number in plain view.I bought a huge torch that I could shine on dark doorways without getting out the car,but this also attracted the police who had been alerted by a resident.The actual wage was garbage,presumably due to me being told I was classed as self-employed as despite working anything from 35 to much more hours over 5 days I received £85.I started work in november and was told I was no longer needed by february,but my details would be kept and I would be contacted again when the catalogue firm were expecting to be busy.This contact was again in november,but as I had secured alternative employment I declined.My guess,the money thats paid to the guys that actually deliver the parcels is so poor that they have no pride in their work and just cant be bothered to add to their long days by spending a few minutes writing notes to the householder.

laurie53 07:11 24 Jul 08

This is not a new trend. It's been happening for many years, with some quite reputable companies.

The trend is perhaps towards less reputable companies/couriers becoming involved.

interzone55 08:52 24 Jul 08

"" If you want cheap, you get poor service. "

Not given choice !!!!!"

So you're forced to buy from these companies are you?

Of course you've got a choice...

Quickbeam 09:49 24 Jul 08

To knowingly have goods for delivery sub-contracted out to a system that almost no-one will not have the legalities of insurance, both vehicle or goods in transit, or very likely not be properly registered as self employed.

They do say ignorance of the law is not a defence...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…