Cheap CCTV`

TeddyBear07 12:43 24 Jul 08

Hi,

i've been thinking about getting a CCTV for my front garden, but have been put off by it. However, with one of my neighbours vandalising my car, i have decided to get one. After calling round security fitters and electricians, i have found that the price range of having a CCTV camera, DVR and having it all fitted would come to around £400+!!!! That is way too much for me.

Does anyone know anywhere that does really cheap fittings? if not, would it be cheaper for me to buy everything seperate and have an electrician fit it for me?

any advice will be appreciated.

thx

T

Pine Man 12:59 24 Jul 08

Just add a web cam to your computer, which is exactly what I did to find out what/who was c..ping on my front lawn!

Al94 13:03 24 Jul 08

It wont do much good as unlikely to be admissible as evidence.

interzone55 13:11 24 Jul 08

without wishing to tout for business, a decent CCTV system that can capture images suitable for use in prosecutions will cost well north of £400.

We're testing a home & corner shop CCTV system at the moment that we hope to sell to installers for £300, this is a DVR with 160gb HDD and 4 cameras, 2 external with IR lamps and 2 internal domes. The quality of these cameras is OK, but nothing to write home about.

I'd pay a visit to Maplin, they have some reasonably priced kits.

click here

Just watch out, some of the really cheap kits capture images that are completely useless for identification...

Pine Man 15:20 24 Jul 08

'It wont do much good as unlikely to be admissible as evidence.'

That is a bit simplistic IMHO.

It can certainly be put before a court and it is upto the court to decide whether or not it provide sufficient proof that the person before them did what is alleged and that what is alleged is criminal.

interzone55 16:24 24 Jul 08

Most courts won't allow CCTV footage unless it is timecoded and digitally watermarked.

There's also basic standards as to the size of the person in the image, if the image is too small it's next to impossible to prove who is in the footage, and no, they won't allow any CSI style image reconstruction.

If you want a CCTV system for general surveillance get a cheapy system from Maplins, on the other hand if you think you'll need to hand footage to the police at any point it's best if you get a proper CCTV system installed by a professional installer.

As a tip, the police don't like to have to install software to view footage, so make sure any system outputs in standard AVI format without the need for any codecs.

Chegs ®™ 17:56 24 Jul 08

I installed a webcam to watch over my car(as it was repeatedly damaged)and had a brick thrown through the window it was placed in.Although the police said the video couldnt be used as evidence,could I print out a still which he would use to "put the frightners" on the oik.Result was,the oiks Dad offered to pay for the repairs to my car & window.I then was subjected to abuse from other kids who accused me of being a pervert for filming them playing.One by one though,the police were able to discover who the culprits were that were damaging my property,or hurling threats and abuse at my family and when these little gits had a visit from the police,the problems slowly expired.

cream. 18:38 24 Jul 08

A £30 B\W connected to a long player VHS recorder or a £50 colour also connected to VHS. Incorperate this with a £8 flood light that comes on when any one approaches and you have got it cracked.

We have 2 B\W and 1 colour running. They have been going for over 5 years without the slightest hickup, some of the tapes have been re-written over a 1,000 times:-)

Pine Man 20:32 24 Jul 08

Clearly things have changed significantly since I was involved with evidential matters BUT are you sure it's actually the courts that won't allow it to be admitted or the Crown Prosecution service making up their own rules, as they certainly used to, so they improve the odds of getting successful prosecutions;-)

interzone55 20:47 24 Jul 08

From speaking to customers, they've variously been refused permission to show footage by the police and the courts, on grounds of either poor quality, too small an image, no proof that the video has been tampered with, or that it couldn't be played on the equipment in the court.

All systems sold in my department are fully approved for courts in the UK and most of Europe, providing they're installed and operated correctly, but they're very, very expensive...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…