Charlton Heston October 4, 1924 – April 5, 2008

Belatucadrus 15:53 06 Apr 08

click here

One of the last proper movie STARS ! Only marred by a gun infatuation and that cold dead hand speech. Still despite the adverse publicity, he stuck to his guns, a man of principle which is increasingly rare.

R.I.P Judah Ben-Hur

sunny staines 16:02 06 Apr 08

i liked this films, a good actor.

DANZIG 16:04 06 Apr 08

"You maniacs! You blew it up, God damn you, God damn you all to hell"

Fabulous!

Forum Editor 16:44 06 Apr 08

is one way of putting it.

I prefer to see him as he really was - a film actor who was incapable of understanding the terrible harm that the right to bear arms has done to American society.

He was a bigoted fool, and I shall shed no tears at his passing.

tullie 16:46 06 Apr 08

Your right FE

anskyber 17:35 06 Apr 08

I'm not sure he was that good an actor.

He was in the John Wayne mould of acting where whichever part he played it was Heston not the character. A bit shallow really.

I agree he was also shallow in his thinking and a rather sad bigoted individual. The USA has a chance to move on when nonsense like his is quickly forgotten.

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:03 06 Apr 08

Bags first go at prising his gun away from him.

G

Forum Editor 20:13 06 Apr 08

This man used to turn up at the scene of almost every infamous shooting incident and make speeches about how it isn't the gun that kills, it's the finger that pulls the trigger.

He was too stupid or too deluded to understand what a ludicrous rationale that was, and too insensitive to think for a millisecond about the effect his words might have on the relatives of the dead. He'll get no kind words from me.

Belatucadrus 23:57 06 Apr 08

"Political activism

Heston campaigned for Presidential candidate Adlai Stevenson in 1956 and John F. Kennedy in 1960.[10] When an Oklahoma movie theater premiering his movie was segregated, he joined a picket line outside in 1961.[11] During the civil rights march held in Washington, D.C. in 1963, he accompanied Martin Luther King Jr. In later speeches, Heston said he helped the civil rights cause "long before Hollywood found it fashionable."

In 1968, following the assassination of Senator Robert F. Kennedy, Heston appeared on The Joey Bishop Show and, along with fellow actors Gregory Peck, Kirk Douglas and James Stewart, called for public support for President Johnson's Gun Control Act of 1968.[13][14] He opposed the Vietnam War and said he voted for Richard Nixon in 1972."

click here

As I stated in my original post I find his later support for the NRA an aberration, but even Michael Moore admitted that gun ownership wasn't the root cause of Americas problems, citing Canada as an example of a nation where gun ownership had not gone hand in hand with violence. Our own experience with increased gun crime despite draconian gun laws show that the answer isn't easy.

At this point rather than risk any further arguments on the pros & cons of firearms legislation, I'll close the thread.

Grey Goo 00:06 07 Apr 08

Bravo

Earthsea 00:19 07 Apr 08

You've just made a good argument as to why he wasn't a man of principle.

I agree that he made some cracking films, though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…