Charity rubbish

royalflush 13:08 14 May 07

this is bizzare to say the least,

has anyone heard of a website called "FreeCycle" its a members only forum just like pca but its running soley on wated & offered posts

nothing else so's to stop so many household things going to the "Tip" or landfill ect,its a great website ive given away & recived a whole lota good stuff & one of the post's ive just recived of another memeber:

Hi all

Last Saturday I went to the tip,
I was taking a bit of
garden rubbish that wouldn't go in the composter.

I was only there a couple of minutes but it was long enough to see a
charity van roll up. (I won't say which charity as this has happened
before with a different charity)

The driver of the charity van then proceeded to open the back of the
van and dump the contents. I was horrified to find that he was
chucking away computers, chairs , tables, clothes and a whole host of
stuff that still
had plenty of life left in them.

Obviously they were items that hadn't been sold in the shop. I would
have thought, with it being a charity and that they had had the items
donated to them in the first place, that they would have either passed
them on to another charity or given them to the needy.

There are two charity shops in my area, which I will be visiting. My
plan is to make them aware of Freecycle and its purpose, in the hopes
that they will re-think their policy on items they can't sell.

Kate B 14:35 14 May 07

Freecycle is excellent, mostly, though my group often has people asking for quite expensive stuff: "I need a laptop, must be fairly fast, can you help", "I need InDesign, can you help", which grates a bit.

pj123 15:00 14 May 07

Freecycle has been running for quite a while now and as Kate B says is excellent. But it is a "person to person" type of transaction.

My partner is a volunteer worker for a charity shop.

She says that you would be surprised at the stuff people donate that they think could be resold.

The shop she works for has an assessor who checks and prices all donations. An awful lot of the stuff (although it looks good on the surface) is actually beyond redemption.

Most charity shops cannot accept any electrical stuff because it has to have a test certificate, which costs them a lot of money to have done.

Also a lot of the stuff charity shops get is not actually handed in when the shop is open, but is left on the doorstep. They then have no choice but to take it in and assess it.

Forum Editor 17:36 14 May 07

via Freecycle. It's an excellent idea.

egapup 19:10 14 May 07

Just got rid of a load of old computer stuff, really good idea.

The Brigadier 19:17 14 May 07

A friend who's a snapper for the nationals got me into it about 18 months ago, they had been sent to snap on a group for an article and we both started to use it, well worth using it & a lot better then chucking it out or going to the tip.

laurie53 21:04 14 May 07

Brilliant idea, but it depends a bit on which group you are.

I gave up on Freecycle some months ago because I got fed up of people making arrangements to collect stuff and then not turning up.

I actually stayed up late for one guy who said he couldn't get to me before 11.00pm, and he didn't even bother to phone.

Like KateB says - it grates a bit

Laurie

Kate B 21:24 14 May 07

Yes, I've been stood up a couple of times by people I'm giving stuff to. Makes you wonder about their manners, really, but in general it's a really good idea.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009