Channel 4 Payment

ulrich 18:08 20 Jan 07

How is it the government is giving money to Channel 4? I thought that was why it had advertising.

anskyber 18:11 20 Jan 07

Are you confusing a Public Service channel with public funding? click here

ulrich 18:17 20 Jan 07

I think. But why should we pay to this, and how much?

Forum Editor 18:25 20 Jan 07

because it's a Public service TV broadcaster - owned by me and you, and all other British taxpayers.

ulrich 11:28 21 Jan 07

This, in that case, I see it as a waste of money, taxpayers.

lisa02 11:37 21 Jan 07

"owned by me and you"

Great when do I get my cut?

anskyber 11:43 21 Jan 07

Channel 4 has an excellent reputation for it's programming. As far as I am aware the only public funding it will get will be to help meet the costs of the digital switch over.

Why don't you just say Big Brother should be taken off air and I would agree with you. C4 has made a lash up of it's PR and for me at least miss managed the whole affair.

namtas 12:14 21 Jan 07

As far as I was aware, Channel 4 receives no public funding. It is funded entirely by its own commercial activities.

rodriguez 12:22 21 Jan 07

I don't think any commercial channels receive public funding which is why they advertise. The BBC TV licence is there because they don't advertise, so the TV licence is it's public funding. However the BBC used to use (and they may still use) product placement. Next time you're watching a BBC program and there's a something like a bottle of ketchup on the table, notice the way the Heinz label is pointed towards the camera. Just a little BBC trick to get a bit extra money ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…