A challenge (and suggestion) to PCA.

LastChip 12:09 24 Jul 08

It was with some disappointment, I read a BBC item today, referring to Bletchley Park - click here and it occurred to me, that a small charitable donation may help the trustees to continue their renovations. But of course, any donation I may make, would have next to no effect on the overall scheme of things and it needs a coordinated effort from a central point.

As everyone here indirectly enjoys the fruits of those early pioneers labours and indeed, PCA makes a living from it, I wondered if you would consider a sort of "Charity of the Year" type appeal, for any members that were interested, to donate. It may even make a good article for a future issue.

Of the thousands of members and readers that you attract, a not insignificant sum of money could potentially be achieved and perhaps even some form of PCA sponsorship arranged with the trustees.

It is my view (for what it's worth) that we really must maintain our heritage and Bletchley Park is a worthy contender.

interzone55 12:14 24 Jul 08

I don't this we're allowed to make requests like this on the forum.

As much as this is a worthy cause, everyone has their own personal favourite causes, so if one is allowed, then how can FE stop others posting requests for donations to their chosen charities.

LastChip 12:39 24 Jul 08

The point of the post is for PCA to adopt and enjoy any form of sponsorship that could be agreed.

But I take your point and I'm sure if our FE thinks this post should not appear, he will contact me and delete or lock it and there will be no hard feelings either way. I have to admit, it didn't occur to me the post may be construed in that manner. It seemed to me there was a strong correlation between what PCA does and Bletchley Park.

Chegs ®™ 16:39 24 Jul 08

Perhaps contacting PCA privately via yellow envelope might have been better than posting in open forum.

Forum Editor 17:49 24 Jul 08

Bletchley Park just doesn't have enough mass appeal. The original idea was to redevelop it as a kind of museum of code-breaking and computer technology, but I don't think it has ever fired the imagination of the general public. I've been there quite a few times, and on each occasion I never saw more than a handful of other visitors.

We don't have any plans to embark on sponsorships of any kind.

woodchip 22:53 24 Jul 08

"Quote I don't think it has ever fired the imagination of the general public" Not mine anyway

Bingalau 23:16 24 Jul 08

How about them asking for a grant from the National Lottery Fund?

jack 08:44 25 Jul 08

Might they not - after all it was in a sort of a way
their start point

bjh 10:21 25 Jul 08

My mother worked at Bletchley Park as an expert in translating communications in Greek . She met my father as a result of working there (he worked in Whitehall, then they both went off to University together after the war). She was reading the article in the Times yesterday, and struggles now to find the right words to describe what she did. Words like paper, writing etc. are a real effort for her to produce. She proudly bought the subject up as a complete novelty at least three times over 30 minutes. Age and dementia catching up with her.

Some years ago when there was (rightly) fuss over the place just falling apart, I asked her what she thought. She said that the whole place was vast, and which bits should be preserved? That it was just one part of many other institutions that should be remembered, and that it was not the building or even the people who needed to be remembered, but the REASON why it was needed was what shouldn't be forgotten. She felt then that there were better things to spend our (her) money on.

So, given the difficulty of getting decent (any) health care for my mother, I suppose I would say I'd rather have the money spent on better care for the elderly than care for a building. I think that, several years ago, that's just what she meant.

Forum Editor 18:47 25 Jul 08

I think that you and your mother have summed it up pretty well. My wife's parents are buried in the churchyard that backs onto Bletchly Park, and as a consequence we have tended to visit fairly often over the past few years. The buildings and exhibits are interesting, but frankly there's not enough there to attract a large audience.

I think it would be far better to create a special section in one of the big national museums, and forget about trying to preserve sixty five year-old wooden huts.

day2strike 18:54 25 Jul 08

Sadly a lot of what was covered at Bletchly Park was covered by "D" notices & the Offical Secrets Act even up to the early 90's.

After the war a lot of the workings were destroyed on the orders of the then Goverment, but may be it's time to stand up and be proud of the achivement of a small but dedicated group of people that carried out the classified work.

Perhaps Bletchly Park should be given goverment money to restore it back to how it was in the war years.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant