A challenge for all you brainboxes

lofty29 10:26 16 Mar 08

I have come to the conclusion that amongst the members are the most articulate and brainiest people in the country, so here is a challenge. Local services and taxes are a mess, partly funded and controlled locally, and partly funded and contolled centrally. A partizan and ineffiecient system, which causes widely vari-ing levels of service and taxes accross the UK, come up with a better system!!!!without slagging off politicians

Bingalau 10:28 16 Mar 08

Impossible

newman35 10:32 16 Mar 08

If you had not written into the 'rules' ..."without slagging off politicians.", then perhaps - but as it is I agree with Bingalau.

lisa02 10:36 16 Mar 08

Scrap the councils and pay private companies to provide the services as and when you need them. Have a regulator to manage those private companies. Those that can't afford to pay get means tested concessions/freebie services.

Just (not even a) half baked suggestion.

Quickbeam 10:42 16 Mar 08

Bapou 10:47 16 Mar 08

Bring back the Poll Tax say I. Maggie's idea had it's merits.

That should bring forth comment.

I shall now go into hiding as the hounds are unleashed!

User-1235809 10:59 16 Mar 08

I agree with Bapou that Poll Tax had its merits, where it fell down mostly (IMO) was charging it to students and other non earners.

We thought that Poll Tax was bad but what we have now seems to be much worse. To cut Council Tax, I would get rid of all jobs which didn't exist ten years ago, we are paying thousands to people who give us nothing in return

lofty29 11:27 16 Mar 08

Quickbeam
start a thread then
lisa02
I would hope that there would not be any half baked suggestions, after all what is brainstorming

lisa02 11:45 16 Mar 08

Oh well, whatever. I was just making clear that my idea wasn't sufficiently thought out. Without slagging (criticising) politicians the only solution would be to get rid of them!

I'll withdraw from the thread.

lofty29 12:04 16 Mar 08

lisa02
I fear that you misundestood my remarks, I was not critisising you or your suggestion, For that I apologise, I was mearly stating that in the context of brianstorming no ideas should be considered "half-baked" until subjected to proper anaylisis

carmichy 12:10 16 Mar 08

My Geography teacher once came away with the saying that Communism is the greatest Ideal in the world but Human Greed defeats it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…