At the centre of time

peter99co 11:27 20 Oct 09

click here

Exactly 125 years after the Greenwich Meridian line was drawn, how and why did Britain become the centre of time?

crosstrainer 11:35 20 Oct 09

Imagine what it must have been like to travel from London to Bristol, only to find that you had crossed into another time zone! Then up the road to a small village to find that time had changed again......Aargh! you would need ten watches.

Thank goodness we have standardisation now, although the Daylight Savings thing still bugs me. I have to subtract an hour when calling NZ at this time of year.....Roll on Sunday!

Quickbeam 12:58 20 Oct 09

The Prime Meridian being in Greenwich still irks le Frog... ho, ho:)

peter99co 14:14 20 Oct 09

I thought there were a lot of folks who wish to stay on BST. Is this still on the cards?

crosstrainer 15:07 20 Oct 09

It was discussed, but all seems to have gone quiet now. It drives me nuts....Takes me ages to re-set clocks, PVR, Microwave, Watch Hi-Fi etc.

Kevscar1 16:48 20 Oct 09

Interesting bit in the article.

the fact that the rotation of the Earth is irregular and slowing

Now I wonder if that is causing Global Warming
or are we humans going to be blamed for that.
To many of us and the planet can't take the weight

peter99co 16:55 20 Oct 09

Shame the UK won't move its zone to match France. More light in the evenings in winter, less power consumption, less depression, fewer suicides, fewer road deaths - lots of benefits

I do agree with these comments.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:31 20 Oct 09

how and why did Britain become the centre of time?

click here

scroll down to history and also look a chronometers at click here

Forum Editor 23:13 20 Oct 09

it has been slowing ever since it was formed - roughly 1.5 billion years ago. If you had been around then a day and night would have been over in 12 hours because the planet was spinning at roughly double its present speed.

The earth's rotation obviously does have an effect on climate, and a slowing rotation affects it even more. The earth isn't a perfect sphere, it bulges outward at the equator, so that land there is about 27 miles 'higher' than it would be if the planet was a sphere. This bulging - caused by the speed of rotation - makes the oceans at the equator deeper than at the poles, and that alone has a profound effect on climate.

As the earth's rotation slows, gravity tries to pull it into a perfect spherical shape, and this slow shape change results in earthquakes and volcanoes as the continental plates grind against each other. This rotational slowing is on a geological timescale - we're slowing at the rate of about 2.2 seconds every 100,000 years, so there's no need to alter your watch.

AL47 23:42 20 Oct 09

ditch the hour change!!

peter99co 16:18 21 Oct 09

Well that make two of us. I wonder if it will catch on?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5