Celebrating Ignorance

interzone55 14 Jan 12

Well the US election race has started to get really dirty now.

Newt Gingrich has just released a video smearing Mitt Romney (what is it with the names of the Republican candidates?).

What do you think Mitt's offence is?

Speaking French!

Newt claims that Mitt is an elitist liberal wimp, so can't be trusted.

I really do hope that the rest of the US populace isn't as stupid as the media makes out, and they can see through the posturing during elections...

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14 Jan 12

I really do hope that the rest of the US populace isn't as stupid as the media makes out

You are joking of course? I wouldn't want to dash your hopes....

the Land of the Free is populated by a few clever people and a lot of sheep ;0)

Forum Editor 15 Jan 12

"the Land of the Free is populated by a few clever people and a lot of sheep ;0)"

As are all other countries.

morddwyd 15 Jan 12

I have American friends who openly criticise Obama to me.

I have never known that happen before, it's usually, to non-US citizens, "The President can do no wrong".

Even at the height of the Nixon scandal I never heard an ordinary US citizen criticize him while he was still in office.

zzzz999 15 Jan 12

What does your friend criticise him for? Usually Obama has two types of critics, the republicans who are now trying to rewrite history and pretend that it was Obama who destroyed their economy and democrats who are genuinely disappointed at Obama allowing the machine to curtail him.

interzone55 15 Jan 12

morddwyd

Even at the height of the Nixon scandal I never heard an ordinary US citizen criticize him while he was still in office.

Sounds strangely like North Korea.

No-one should be beyond criticism, because anyone who is constantly surrounded by "Yes Men" will begin to think they can do no wrong, at which point they rarely get anything right...

bremner 15 Jan 12

I have spent many weeks in the US over the last 6 years and can say that in conversation with American friends and business colleagues they were openly critical of George W Bush and Barak Obama in equal measures.

Like many Brits they have little time for any of their politicians whom they see only as desiring power. I also think there may be the beginning of a serious backlash against the huge sums of money being spent by those seeking election at a time when the average american is suffering economic hardship.

Grey Goo 15 Jan 12

Probably the ingrained "Small Town America" attitude coming out in times of opportunity.

morddwyd 15 Jan 12

"Sounds strangely like North Korea."

Not quite.

Americans have no compunction about criticising the President within their own country. However, in the past I have always found a reluctance to wash their dirty linen internationally. That is entirely a personal view formed from conversations with American friends.

Others will no doubt have different friends and different views.

In North Korea you dare not criticise the leader even in your own home!

Woolwell 15 Jan 12

morddwyd - I had US friends openly criticising the President some 20 years ago. It was fairly unusual before that.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

IKinema aims to banish droopy shoulders and wonky spines in animated CG characters

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message