The CD is 25 years old today!

Thalmus 12:32 17 Aug 07

The very first CD rolled off a production Line in Hanover, Germany this day 25 years ago. For those who want to know the CD was ABBA's - The Vistors

Happy Birthday!

For a full story click here

jtt 12:37 17 Aug 07

That's nothing special. I'm much older than the CD.

Si_L 12:38 17 Aug 07

10 years down the line and they will be obsolete anyway.

oresome 12:51 17 Aug 07

Even if they are obsolete in 10 years, which I doubt, a 35 year life span is pretty good going for any item of technology by todays standards.

Thalmus 12:56 17 Aug 07

Such a poor response to something that started the digital media revolution and made possible the DVD's and HD-DVD of today

Stuartli 13:39 17 Aug 07

Actually it was the Philips Laservision system that played that role.

The 12in disk provided video and audio of a very high standard at the time.

Eventually Philips realised that the audio side could replace its Compact Cassette technology and it linked up with Sony to create the 4in Compact Disk.

Part of the reason for the success, apart from Sony's input, was the work done by Taiyo Yuden to produce the required standard of media.

jtt 13:42 17 Aug 07

If I remember correctly, Philips had the main input on the optics and disk, and Sony had the main input on the Error correction.

Stuartli 14:35 17 Aug 07

Some info:

click here

lisa02 14:35 17 Aug 07

Happy 25th to the CD!
(It's not much older than me.)

Probably the most versatile and cheap media ever. Heaven knows I've mountains of them, as some of the piles are almost reaching there!

Stuartli 14:38 17 Aug 07

I remember visiting the Philips factory in Blackburn in the early 1980s to watch the production of Laservision disks.

dukeboxhero 15:59 17 Aug 07

remember seeing a program on tv ,think it was blue peter when they first came out and he poured stuff all over a cd then wiped it of and played it without a jump or stickin, were they faking stuff way back then?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…