Cats!

Newuser939 17:15 14 Jul 08

Having just watched a local cat injure and torment a young blackbird, I cannot help wondering why it is that cat owners expect that their wish to keep a cat should take priority over whatever their neighbours might want to do in their own gardens, such as encourage birds to visit. We all know that cats will be cats, prowling across entire neighbourhoods with murderous intent towards birds and other small creatures, pausing only to dig up flowerbeds and treat the garden as a giant litter tray. Surely, if I decided to indulge in a hobby which prevented my neighbour using his garden as he wanted, I would be regarded as anti-social. So are cat owners arrogant and selfish, or have I missed some other high minded argument? (Obviously the owners of indoor cats are excused).

MCE2K5 17:24 14 Jul 08

"So are cat owners arrogant and selfish":

I have a Cat, She is not allowed outside at all, She is a Rescued Cat from the RSPCA, The one main reason we were allowed to have her was that she would have to become a House Cat.

That aside, If any Cats kill anything or crap or dig up my garden, It gets Bricked, They never come back.

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:26 14 Jul 08

This is real life, as is, as will be. If cats want to kill birds then so be it. I'm sure the bird population can stand the loss.

'That aside, If any Cats kill anything or crap or dig up my garden, It gets Bricked'..so cats can operate JCBs? what happens when someone spills some beer on you..death by a thousand cuts? /eyes raise

G

interzone55 17:29 14 Jul 08

Cats do not have owners, they live where they wish.

That isn't some silly comment, it's entirely true. If a cat no longer wishes to live at their present abode they will go somewhere that provides better food and a comfier duvet. I know this because over the last 10 years two random cats have moved into my house...

Quickbeam 17:42 14 Jul 08

"Cats do not have owners, they live where they wish."... How true.

We've had cats in the past that upped sticks and left because of dogs or babies etc coming into the house to stay. Dogs on the other hand are faithful until death... and do as they're told.

MCE2K5 17:45 14 Jul 08

"what happens when someone spills some beer on you..death by a thousand cuts? /eyes raise":

No, as I do not frequent Pubs, But a smack in the GOB usually sorts it out.

"so cats can operate JCBs?". No, Tom Cats leave Crap un the surface, Female Cats Bury it.

Forum Editor 17:53 14 Jul 08

If a cat decides to jump into my garden and use my carefully tended flowerbed as a toilet on a regular basis, that's OK is it?

If it is, supposing my neigbour decides to keep ten pet cats, and they all leap over the fence and use the flowerbed as a toilet on a regular basis - is it still OK?

What if both neighbours keep ten cats, and they all do it......and so on - where is the line drawn?

I've expressed my view before - cats are welcome to pitty-pat across my garden if they like, and they can even kill a bird or two if they like, because that's what cats do, and blackbirds aren't going to become extinct as a result. If the cats cross the line however, and start defecating and urinating all over the place they are not welcome, and I will take steps to deter them - I'll do whatever it takes, and feel not one iota of guilt. Cats do not have some kind of universal dispensation to go wherever they like and do whatever they like, any more than I do.

sunny staines 18:07 14 Jul 08

one year we had wrens nesting, till a cat found them.

Forum Editor 18:19 14 Jul 08

That's the kind of thing that happens - it's happened in my garden (twice) with wrens' nests and robins' nests, and it irritates the hell out of me. That's life/death as it happens in nature however, and it could equally well have been foxes - we get plenty of them in the garden. They also defecate, but on the lawn. They have no human owners, so there's not much I can do, except scare the life out of them, which I try to do. If they could read I would plant a few signs saying "Juicy cats and lush lawn toilet available next door", but they can't, so I don't.

Noldi 18:45 14 Jul 08

A Bell round the cat’s neck normally puts the cat at a bit of disadvantage. But that is up to the cat’s owner to be responsible enough to do that.

I never understand people wanting to keep cats because they do tend to do their own thing,
Going around trying to kill every small living thing, Crapping in Gardens and fighting at unearthly hour waking me up.

What would happen if my dog killed a wild cat is that acceptable? I know she wouldn’t because she is trained to behave but just if.

Noldi

Noldi 18:54 14 Jul 08

click here
Interesting reading from the RSPB webb site.

Noldi

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced