Catching distracted drivers

Al94 08:48 11 Apr 09

This looks like a good idea, certainly in my area a huge number of people are ignoring mobile phone laws when driving click here

laurie53 08:51 11 Apr 09

I have no sympathy with distracted `drivers, but I do sometimes think that some of these resources could be better aimed at other areas of criminality.

Al94 09:02 11 Apr 09

That's a fair point.

Pine Man 09:05 11 Apr 09

'better aimed at other areas of criminality'

Spot on laurie53. What the hell if a few people get killed by distracted drivers it's only an accident isn't it!

Al94 09:08 11 Apr 09

Perhaps "also aimed" rather than "better aimed"?

birdface 10:11 11 Apr 09

Just wondered if they were also breaking the law by sitting on the pavement which is for pedestrians.Or just another just another case of one law for them and another for us.

lofty29 11:35 11 Apr 09

Best bit I saw on TV this morning was a woman driver complaing that these cameras infringed her "human liberties", as soon as anything crops up these days someone will shout this cant.

hssutton 16:15 11 Apr 09

What can be more distracting than a car with a large pole sticking up with cameras on top. I noticed the other week when in N Yorkshire the amount of people being distracted from their norm by the Google car passing by.

I've not actually seen one of these smart cars with the cameras fitted, but if they're anything like this. click here

karmgord 17:48 12 Apr 09

make sure you are not eating anything such as an apple.

WhiteTruckMan 17:58 12 Apr 09

Is the camera operator going to stop someone once they have been filmed on a phone to stop the potentially dangerous driving? Didnt think so. its more about money than safety.

WTM

interzone55 11:26 13 Apr 09

The Police can actually park on the pavement if carrying out police duties. There was a case near me last year where a police speed camera van was parked on the pavement.

They caught about 60 speeding motorists in a day, but every ticket had to be cancelled, firstly because they were half way down a quite steep hill, where you'd have a hell of a job to keep below 30, secondly, because the camera van was actually blocking the "warning speed cameras" sign. Idiots...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced