The Catcher in the Rye

Kev.Ifty 23:25 24 Mar 07

One of my resolutions for the New Year was to read more 'proper' books.

I have just bought and am going to start reading tomorrow; Sunday, The Catcher in the Rye.

I am trying to catch up from years of reading tech manuals and 'how to do' stuff.

I am getting severely fed up with my tech support job, having to think for other people ect......
I need an escape!

What do you think of 'The Catcher in the Rye'?

Is there a book that you ain't read yet, but at some point intend to ?

Any recommendations ?

Kev

jz 23:46 24 Mar 07

I've read Catcher in the Rye and thought it was OK but nothing special.

My favourite is The Picture of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde. Second favourite is An Artist of the Floating World by Kazuo Ishiguro. Of the very popular books, my favourite is To Kill a Mocking Bird.

Forum Editor 23:58 24 Mar 07

is a great book, but it wasn't always thought of that way. When it was first published it attracted some bad reviews, and a deal of hostility.

You'll enjoy it, and will have plenty to think about. To say more would be to spoil it for you.

Recommending books for other people is always difficult without knowing something about their tastes and their previous reading but my advice is to mix your books a little, try some classic literary works but include some of the lighter stuff as well.

After you've read The Catcher in the Rye try 'To kill a mockingbird', and perhaps 'Jane Eyre' and/or 'Wuthering heights'. Then you could try some Ernest Hemingway - 'A moveable feast' for instance. Have a look at 'Birdsong' by Sebastian Faulks, and 'His Dark Materials' by Philip Pullman

'The shell seekers' by Rosamunde Pilcher is worth including, as is 'The Secret Garden'by Frances Hodgson Burnett. I like Thomas Hardy's novels, and particularly 'Tess of the Durbevilles', and of course there's 'The Lord of the rings'.

There are lots more, and no essential reading list would be complete without 'One Hundred Years Of Solitude' by Gabriel García Márquez, or 'The grapes of wrath' by John Steinbeck.

rdave13 02:28 25 Mar 07

Apart from The Lord Of The Rings, in a simmilar theme is "The Chronicles Of Thomas Covenant, The Unbeliever", by Stephen R. Donaldson.

Read them all twice. A great writer.

click here

WhiteTruckMan 02:36 25 Mar 07

I've read the chronicles of thomas covenant, and found the first trilogy to be better than the second by far.

I'd suggest the Liveship Traders trilogy by Robin Hobb.

WTM

Ben 216 02:50 25 Mar 07

I'd recommend anything by Terry Pratchett, especially Small Gods, Reaper Man, and around Christmas time, Hogfather.

Mad Gilbert 03:07 25 Mar 07

The Catcher in the Rye is a great book, and certainly touched a nerve for me and quite a few people I know.

My favourite book of all time though is a play- Hamlet, Prince of Denmark. I studied it at school and loved it, and still read it on a regular basis.

Ben's recommendations are good too- especially Small Gods, which is superb.

On a somewhat different note - 'Is it just me or is everything shit?' is a brilliant read as well!

Watchful 07:36 25 Mar 07

Go for the big one, War and Peace - Tolstoy, if you want something to think about.

For humourous stuff, any of Bill Bryson's travel books.

wee eddie 08:51 25 Mar 07

Each month a book is chosen for the listeners to read. At the end of the month a group of readers discuss the book. Imaginatively called "Bookclub"

You might also try listening to "A Good Read" for a selection of books being discussed by comparatively normal people.

chocolate cake 12:18 25 Mar 07

War and Peace is okay but I prefer Tolstoy's other masterwork Anna Karenin. You won't be disappointed.

Also try 'A day in the life of Ivan Denisovich' by Alexander Solzinitsyn and 'The Idiot' by Dostoyevsky.

realist 12:24 25 Mar 07

Be inspired....
read "You can't take it with you"
by Jane and Mike Tomlinson

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…