Catch 22

morddwyd 20:01 01 Apr 14

Now that my wife's in a care home she has decided she needs to sign Power of Attorney, so today I went to see a solicitor.

"You need a solicitor."

"I know. That's why I'm here."

"No, you need a solicitor that knows you and can certify it's you."

"But is I had a solicitor who knew me that well I wouldn't be seeing you would I?"

"Sorry, that's the way it is"!

Aitchbee 20:20 01 Apr 14

Check out the other solicitors in your town ... they might have better options.

Woolwell 20:30 01 Apr 14

Change solicitor. I have very recently been through this but ended up not with a lasting power of attorney. You need to know that under rules it can take 3 months to register a power of attorney. It comes under the Office of the Public Guardian. See Powers of Attorney

lotvic 20:37 01 Apr 14

Well how strange, it says ClickHere you can download the forms (or fill them in online, print them and then sign)

mart7 20:43 01 Apr 14

Lotvic you are correct you don't need a solicitor anymore,age uk advised me to do that for lasting power of attorney

mart7 20:51 01 Apr 14

Correction i had forgotten,if the donor doesn't possess mental capacity you need a solicitor to approve the form

Woolwell 20:54 01 Apr 14

Or the donor is unable to complete the form.

kittyfit 22:34 01 Apr 14

Morddwyd,

As you live in Scotland, I would advise you to go to this web page: www.publicguardian-scotland.gov.uk/forms/powerofattorney.asp

I have just finished downloading the registration form for my own situation. I hope this helps. Kathleen.

kittyfit 22:43 01 Apr 14

So sorry. that link doesn't work as the underscores don't show. Try this tiny URL click here

Kathleen

bumpkin 23:38 01 Apr 14

I hope he did not charge you for that useless consultation.

fourm member 08:44 02 Apr 14

You've fallen foul of the ridiculous anti-money laundering rules that are supposed to show the government is serious about combating terrorism.

The solicitor you saw was a bit odd. When we did this recently we just had to go through the rigmarole of proving identity and address.

It was after we've finished it (and paid over £500) that I found out I could have done it myself for just the £70 registration fee.

I'd certainly have a look at that route.

That solicitor may end up by having done you a big favour.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…