Care of New Laminated Flooring Please?

Bing.alau 13:37 PM 16 Sep 12

Advice on the care of newly laid laminated flooring would be most welcome. I do know not to use excess water, but am thinking of using a product which used to be known as "Liquid Gold". I know that was very good on wooden furniture/floors etc. I was thinking that it might help protect the floor by sealing the joins in the flooring.

Bing.alau 13:38 PM 16 Sep 12

I am hoping it is still on the market of course.

KRONOS the First 13:50 PM 16 Sep 12

A bit of reading until others come in with suggestions.

woodchip 14:45 PM 16 Sep 12

It also Depends on how its made solid wood or other

Bing.alau 15:13 PM 16 Sep 12

It's laminated. Solid wood is no problem.

Bing.alau 15:35 PM 16 Sep 12

Chronus. Thanks for that, I have read it and now know what I already suspected. Mainly that keeping it dry is 99% of the way to do it. But I am still wondering about the liquid gold stuff I used many years ago. I think I will Google for that. Probably end up reading all about my favourite drink Bacardi Gold.

KRONOS the First 15:43 PM 16 Sep 12

Take your pick.

This bring back memories.

Disco music not for me.

Nailed this.

Tanning perhaps?

This is the one,has to be.

Bing.alau 15:48 PM 16 Sep 12

Chronus. I've also just been Googling for it and have found the correct stuff on Amazon. It recommends its use on wood but doesn't mention laminates. But I think it looks safe enough as long as I use it sparingly by spraying a little on a dry mop and then polishing off with another dry mop.

KRONOS the First 16:11 PM 16 Sep 12

So you are not going with my first suggestion mixed in with a little bit of my second?

Forum Editor 16:39 PM 16 Sep 12

It doesn't matter what liquid contains, any liquid is the enemy as far as the joints in laminate flooring is concerned. The laminate itself needs no treatment, apart from a wipe with a cloth or mop that is dampened with a solution containing Flash, or some other proprietary cleaner,

The important thing is to use an absolute minimum of water. Anything you use to try to seal the joints will not work-thermal movement will simply open the joints within hours.

Bing.alau 16:56 PM 16 Sep 12

It does seem to be a doddle to keep clean at the moment. Plus I have looked at the maker's site and they seem to say, that you must use a spray of their own expensive brand of stuff on a dry flat mop. (But as Christine Keeler once remarked "They would say that wouldn't they"? Or was that Mandy Rice Taylor?)

You then follow up with another dry mop. (All for sale at great expense, on their own site of course).

FE. I always thought Flash to be a rather strong cleaner and maybe too strong for this. But then again maybe not.

My mind was running along the lines of WD40. I remember an e-mail which boasted that it was perfect for everything. (or nearly everything anyway).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 4 UK release date, price and specs: Thinner, lighter, faster with new Type Cover and Pen

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Territory delivers realistic NASA screens for The Martian - as they will be in 20 years time

21 brilliant tips for Mac OS X El Capitan: The best new Mac features in OS X 10.11