Carbon Trading

interzone55 09:24 07 Jan 08

The government is about to announce plans for up to 10 new nuclear power stations.

Nuclear Power is "clean" as far as carbon goes, there are no carbon emissions from a working plant (plenty while it's being built, but we'll gloss over that for now) so using nuclear power results in a net reduction in carbon emissions.

Wrong - in reality the companies who build & run these stations will merely sell their right to emit carbon to other companies, so the net carbon emissions are the same as if they built a coal fired power station.

What is the point in forcing the public to use low energy bulbs (they use consume more energy in manufacturing that normal bulbs, and produce loads of lovely toxic waste) that are nowhere near as good as standard bulbs, if companies that don't pollute simply sell their pollution quota to someone else.

wallbash 09:53 07 Jan 08

I don't care about the carbon emission debate.
( that should produce some comments!)
All I care about is production of energy. When I 'switch' a lightswitch the light comes on. I want to be warm etc etc. Build the nuclear power stations, dig the coal., dam the rivers and even build the useless wind farms. All I ask is what what ever we choose to build , let us own and control, not buy from abroad... always with the 'threat' of being cut off.. or switched off.

interzone55 10:29 07 Jan 08

I think your comments will produce some debate - we have to take care of our planet, global warming is a reality, so any energy we produce should be clean, and emissions-wise, Nuclear is the way to go, as wind farms cannot produce enough power cheaply enough (There's a large crop of windmills sprouting up about 2 miles from my house - they do look impressive).

My point is that there's no point building "clean" power plants if another company just buys up the right to pollute more.

Sapins 10:34 07 Jan 08

I agree with you 100%, but it's too late to own and control, foreign countries already own large chunks of the UK's water and electricity supplies, and probably other utilities.

tullie 10:37 07 Jan 08

If everone agreed,fine.But whilst countries like USA,Russia,China etc dont do anything,we,on this little island of ours,wont make a scrap of difference.

Jpeg6785 11:23 07 Jan 08

China last year just by cement production only produced 540,000 Tonnes of CO2, just short of Britains total output, thats some greenhouse gasses, not to mention America and its only going to rise as global population and development rates continue to spiral and the need for concrete increases...

locally we have the local Npower regional offices, you ought to have seen the amount of office lights left on over the christmas period unecessarily (And not on ground floors for security reasons either), in fact most nights it looks the same...

reducing CO2 emissions and saving the environment what planet are they on, stealth taxes spring to mind..... on the car your holiday etc, etc

lofty29 12:12 07 Jan 08

So we have global warming and climate change? we have always had it and probably always will. The way it is being manipulated to make us all guilty is in my opionion a gigantic con trick. Governments and power structures always have to have a bogeyman to frighten the population with. That way they are easier to control and tax

anskyber 12:37 07 Jan 08

A triumph of ill informed prejudice over knowledge, try again guys.

wallbash 13:56 07 Jan 08

anskyber

Most of us believe in global warming and limited recycling
(Its stupied to jump into the car , to take stuff to be recycled. the maths don't add up)

But I don't believe that's it is the fault of the human race. Climate has changed many times over the years.Its a natural progression that we have to adapt to.

Why shouldn't China manufacture large amounts of concrete to help their population.Life is too short to worry. I might be concerned with the problems for my children, grand children, great grandchildren ( last two a future event???)but beyond that they are on their own.I have faith that the poor old human race will 'muddle' on.

anskyber 14:35 07 Jan 08

"I have faith that the poor old human race will 'muddle' on."

Which is of course why it will not. No one, certainly not me anyway will dispute there have been significant climate changes over the life of our earth, the evidence is there. To hold onto the "natural cycle" notion is to completely miss the key point, that is, to what extent is the human race adding to the problem?

Even the most cynical scientists and national politicians in places like the USA now accept that the human contribution is significant in terms of it's effects and we can help to prevent the very worse outcomes. Quite something from the nation who poo pooed the Kyoto Protocol.

The trick will be to encourage China and India and Africa and ....and... to develop in a way which does not threaten the existence of the human species.

This is not an issue for the Earth, it will "muddle on" just fine as it always has done, it's an issue for humans, we have no right to expect to continue and it's that very arrogance of thinking that we will which could well seal our fates.

interzone55 16:02 07 Jan 08

Just look at it this way...

Up to the 18th century climate change happened, but it was slow - deep bore samples from the arctic & antarctic have shown this.

Since the industrial revolution, and with the exponential rise in pollution chucked into the atmosphere, the rate of climate change has accelerated. This is all easily observed.

Even if you don't believe this, surely you can understand that it's not a good idea to go on consuming resources at the rate we've been doing.

Recycling is another one - is it better to recycle a bottle, or chuck it into a landfill?
If you go for the landfill option, what do you do once the landfills are full - chuck it in the sea?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5