Car unlocked again.

Ex plorer 15:01 17 Feb 14
Answered

I have mentioned to my son that I am getting worse at leaving the car unlocked which stands outside my home.

The doors do lock as I check them and there is a definite clunk click.

And the last time I was out I did lock them remotely once to lock twice to set alarms etc.

Is the button getting pressed by accident when I use my house keys to unlock the house door in the morning and lock up at night.

My son and his girl friend said its happened to them when they could have sworn they locked up when they last used there cars.

Any one else finding the same problem when they were sure they had locked the door remotely?.

Can any other device today upset a remote door locking device.

Cars in question are all of different manufacture.

fourm member 15:30 17 Feb 14

My previous car had the remote buttons just a little bit proud so it was easy to press one accidentally.

I learnt to take care how I handled the keys.

bremner 15:46 17 Feb 14

I had a similar problem and it was down to the wireless front door bell. It worked on the same frequency and when someone rang the bell the car unlocked.

spuds 16:01 17 Feb 14

It might be a little difficult to prove with the wireless door bell, if it as a security frequency change in the device.

We use to have very occasional door bell activation, which we eventually found out that it was the next door neighbour closing their garage door, and on the rare occasion the same frequency signal was being picked up.

Suggest that you ask your local car dealer or one of the breakdown services for further advice and information.

wiz-king 16:24 17 Feb 14

Had similar trouble with a Ford, the boot unlocked itself and opened the catch to the first stop putting the light on and flattening the battery. Took months to find, heard the click as we walked back across a lonely carpark in the middle of a forest.

What's wrong with using a key! Got a car now that does not have electric lock and we have to turn a handle to open/shut the windows 'cos it doesn't have aircon.

john bunyan 18:26 17 Feb 14

You don't keep a spare key on you, do you? My wife used to keep a spare in her handbag and if she rummaged for the front door key it be touched and could open the car inadvertently.

Nontek 21:34 17 Feb 14

Sometimes just the rattle of a bunch of keys can operate the lock - and not just car locks but other types of lock as well.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:09 17 Feb 14

Daughter's car (Fiat) would unlock itself after a few minutes, turned out it was down to wear in the driver's door solenoid.

Cured by swapping with the passenger side (more likely it was the adjusting linkage set up while swapping over) :0)

Ex plorer 09:45 18 Feb 14

I am taking note now each time I lock it.

wiz-king I will try using the key in the doors.

john bunyan I have a spare key in the house, so if it happens again I will give that one a try. I keep it in an old plastic box that has many other keys and odds and ends in and often rummaged through so that's a possibility.

Thanks to all other experiences, very interesting reading.

carver 11:13 19 Feb 14

Ex plorer it shouldn't matter if you accidentally unlock your car with the remote because nearly 100% of cars with remote locking will relock after a certain time if the doors are not opened.

The chances of another remote unlocking your car is so very unlikly it runs into the millions.

What car do you have and how old is it?

namtas 14:01 19 Feb 14

Depends how new your car is, older cars have a lot less sophisticated entry system.
You hear tales of door bells opening car doors or other peoples keys opening cars. With Modern systems this is almost impossible Modern systems are quite complex and use a signal that is not just unique but one that changes at ever single operation of the fob.
To do this it uses a rolling codes, or hopping codes. Whenever you press the button to unlock your car, the exact frequency transmitted by the key fob is changed, and the receiver inside the car only locks onto that particular signal. In other words, the code "changes " or "hops" every time it is operated. A small controller chip inside the car receives the signal and changes the code each time the lock or unlock button is pushed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…