Car Tax – pay more or pay less?

dmc727 17:50 28 Apr 06

The new Car Tax, based on CO2 emissions, announced in the budget has started and the bills are starting to drop through the letter box.

First work out your vehicle’s CO2 Emissions Data:click here

Then move here where it will show you the band your car falls:click here

For example Band B (petrol) and a reading of 120 means your new car tax will be…£40.

However if you have a posh diesel car, registered after 23 March 2006, with a reading of over 225 you are looking at.....£215.

I still think the Chelsea tractors should pay more.

Stuartli 17:56 28 Apr 06

I think you probably meant this for Speaker's Corner..:-)

In any case, despite what people believe, most 4x4s actually take up about the same amount of road space as a Ford Mondeo or similar sized car - even less in some cases.

The higher the emissions the more road tax is paid.

Cybermaxx 17:56 28 Apr 06

Jeez, £150. What a rip-off! Small car, small engine.......... Yeah, what a rip-off!

Stuartli 18:05 28 Apr 06

Well I've got a 1.6 petrol engine VW Bora and, according to the links, it will cost me £190.

Again, small car and engine.

dmc727 18:20 28 Apr 06

Stuartli.
"I think you probably meant this for Speaker's Corner..:-)"

I've no problem - whatever is decided.

Cybermaxx 18:29 28 Apr 06

Heh, mine's just a Fiesta 1.3. £150............ The sooner I can develop a slight limp and get a free car on Motability, the better! I'll start practicing now.

Ikelos 19:17 28 Apr 06

my 4x4 is less than 2000cc yet i now pay £195. perhaps the goverment should tell us which cars we can buy..

spuds 20:04 28 Apr 06

Good job that I didn't send someone to the post office with a cheque, so as to pay my vehicle tax today. All the May reminders have the pre budget rates on them, and with the budget increase many cheques are being filled in for the wrong amount, according to the post office counter staff.

The thing that I cannot understand is how can my 1.8 vehicle cost more to tax than a friend's Private HGV. I am paying £175.00 for 2006/07 and they are paying £165.00 for 2006/07 under the new rating calculations. Considering the size of their 'lorry' and my car, there's no contest size-wise. Their vehicles a gas guzzler compared to mine.

namtas 20:05 28 Apr 06

I would suspect that in truth they would prefer us all to use public transport, having said that then if that happened they would loose so much money from loss of revenue.

Cybermaxx 20:11 28 Apr 06

Yeah, well they losing votes, instead!

bfoc 22:52 28 Apr 06

CO2 levels appear to be at an all time high click here, that CO2 is a greenhouse gas click here and that motor transportation accounts for around 22% of the CO2 produced, it might well be that using tax to persuade people to choose lower emission vehicles is a reasonable step to take.

Oh, and it takes more than 'a slight limp' to get a Motability car. For that you need to be awarded higher rate Disability Living Allowance for mobility, which entails a full medical examination by a Department of Works and Pension doctor and access to your full medical records. Even then the DLA would need to be awarded for three years before the Motability car is an option. Frequently even when DLA at the Higher Rate is awarded it is only for 1 or 2 years.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…