Car Tax

Curio 11:18 01 Oct 06

As you probably know, Road Tax can be renewed on-line or telephone as well as post or at Post Office. Daughter Renewed hers by phone 14 days before expiry. Having not received new Disc 12 days later, rang to query why and was told it was not DVLA's fault. Until she received the new disc she has been told to remove her car from highway when current disc expires, even though they have taken the money. As she needs her car for business, this advice is being ignored, and I quite agree with her. I will continue to use the Post office to re-tax my car, seems to be the safer option.

pj123 11:28 01 Oct 06

Renewed mine on Friday at the local Post Office.

At least you get the Tax Disc straight away, a receipt and your renewal form (V11) back.

Will continue to do it this way. Also, of course, with so many Post Offices closing it could help to keep the Post Office open.

Pamy 11:41 01 Oct 06

No road tax disk diplayed, NO INSURANCE COVER

Totally-braindead 11:43 01 Oct 06

Thats very interesting Curio. I'll be sure to let my friends that do things online know about this.

Cymro. 11:53 01 Oct 06

I tried the online option and could not get through, too busy I assume. I renewed by phone and had no problems. Good point about the small local post offices though pj123. I suppose your insurance company could put you straight about the no tax no insurance question.

spider9 11:59 01 Oct 06

Tried to renew my TV licence online - got 'Thank you' email but no actual licence sent to me.
Been waiting over a month now, sent numerous emails, all ignored (apart from automated replies). Good job I don't have to display a TV licence in my window!
Will stick with going to PO from now on, for TV and DVL road tax - much safer!!!

def90csw 12:06 01 Oct 06

I want to support my local Post Office so i renew it their, it's quick and easy and you get it all done in 5 minutes. There have been some reports that the DVLA system is having problems.

Curio 12:13 01 Oct 06

Will be making enquiries re this No insurance if no disc displayed.

Totally-braindead 12:21 01 Oct 06

spider9 the PO no longer do TV licences I'm afraid. I had to renew mine at a grocers shop that displayed a Paypoint sign and as he'd never done it before it took him over half and hour to do it.

Colin 12:22 01 Oct 06

Not displaying a valid tax disc does not invalidate you insurance. That's another urban myth. The penalty for "failure to display" is £60 and is not endorseable.

Curio - what reason did the DVLA give for the non-arrival of the tax disc? Are the posting out a duplicate?

grumpy old git™ 12:23 01 Oct 06

" Will stick with going to PO from now on, for TV "

Don't think you can renew it via the post office any more. I do mine by direct debit but I'm sure we had a letter to say it had to be purchased via a pay point if we usually got it from the post office.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…