car Security More To Worry About....

Bingalau 17:10 12 Apr 09

I got this from an Australian friend today. He says it has been checked out on Snopes. I'm going to invest in a set of "Worry Beads".

THIS HAS BEEN CHECKED ON SNOPES; I personally checked with the local police and they confirmed that this is happening.

While traveling, my friend stopped at the roadside reststop with bathrooms, vending machines, etc. He came out to his car less than 4-5 minutes later and found someone had gotten into his car, and stolen his cell phone, laptop computer, GPS navigator, briefcase.....you name it.

He called the police and since there were no signs of his car being broken into- the police told him that there is a device that robbers are using now to clone your security code when you lock your doors on your car using your key-chain locking device (transmitter). They sit a distance away and watch for their next victim. Since they know you are going inside of the store, restaurant, or bathroom, it gives them a few minutes to steal and run. The police officer said to be sure to manually lock your car door by hitting the lock button inside the car, that way if there is someone sitting in a parking lot watching for their next victim, it will not be you.

When you hit the lock button on your car upon exiting...it does not send the security code, but if you walk away and use the door lock on your key chain- it sends the code thru the airwaves where it can be stolen.

I just wanted to let you know about this...it is something totally new to us...and this is real...it just happened this past Thursday.

So be aware of this and please pass this note on...look how many times we all lock our doors with our keys (transmitters)...just to be sure we remembered to lock them....and bingo the guys have our code....and whatever was in the car...can be gone.

Keep safe everyone!

sunnystaines 17:18 12 Apr 09

code grabbers been around for ages, before they were coded people used tv remotes to copy the signal

not all coded signals can be copied as they change the coded each time.

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:30 12 Apr 09

1) never believe a round robin email
2) if an email says 'checked on Snopes' it will be rubbish.

If you had checked on Snopes, you would have found that it is not true.../yawn click here

G

Belatucadrus 17:32 12 Apr 09

"He says it has been checked out on Snopes."
Or has it ?
click here
"Variations: In mid-2008 some anonymous person thought to add a "Snopes approved" line to the e-mail being circulated. In a nutshell, no, the item is not "Snopes approved" — we take issue with almost all of the e-mail's premise. "

karmgord 17:42 12 Apr 09

Quality cars use rolling codes,to defeat this.Code chages everytime pliper is pressed

rawprawn 18:51 12 Apr 09

Which cars? I have a Beamer how can I check?

sunnystaines 19:19 12 Apr 09

check with your dealer, a quality car should be OK,

Does BMW stand for "Break My Windows" round here BMW's and Audi's are high targets of crime. Nice cars just no head room for tall people like me.

rawprawn 19:40 12 Apr 09

I have run Audi's for years, 1 Jag and recently a BMW. I am tempting fate by saying I have had no trouble at all

interzone55 20:50 12 Apr 09

"Quality cars use rolling codes,to defeat this.Code chages everytime pliper is pressed"

Not just quality, pretty much every remote locking device has used rolling codes for several years. I know the budget alarm I fitted to my first car in the early 90's had a rolling code - fairly simple to check with the right kit - take your car to an auto electrician and they should be able to check it out for you...

Grey Goo 10:53 13 Apr 09

The good ole Boer's have the answer
click here

sunnystaines 12:02 13 Apr 09

The good ole Boer's have another too where a curved type blade swings out from under the car and lopes of the feet just above the ankle.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac