CAR PARKING

Ventad 09:59 03 Jun 09

You drive into a supermarket car park plenty of spaces but because you are not interested in parking next to the main door and dont mind a walk you go to the far end of the car park, there are three totally empty lanes so you park in the last one and do your shop. When you come out there are still plenty of parking spaces and the three lanes are still empty apart from your car and the a car parked either side of you. This appears to happen to me on many occasions,could it bethe other drivers cannot see the painted lines and need another car to line up on. It is one of those things that go around in your mind wondering why! is there any thoughts out there on this?

Esc4p3 10:41 03 Jun 09

Lol, it happens to me too. I am quite paranoid about people scratching and denting my car by opening their car doors onto mine. So I park somewhere 'out of the way' but invariably someone will park next to me even when other spaces are available.

The other similar thing is when you are on holiday and you see a nice parking spot to pull over and eat your sandwiches, no-one else there, nice and tranquil. Suddenly half way through your grub, 10 other cars pull up and have a barbeque :-)

bjh 10:57 03 Jun 09

Didn't you know cars are magnetic?

It's also the reason that the car parked next to yours will be very, very careful opening their door, yet it'll somehow slam into your car, leaving a ding. It's certainly NOT their fault, but yours, for having a magnetic car.

JanetO 11:02 03 Jun 09

I believe it's called the herd instinct.

skeletal 11:38 03 Jun 09

Yes, yes, yes!!!!

I do everything possible to avoid parking close to other vehicles because I know that there are probably only a couple of other people in the country (my son being one of them, possibly Esc4p3 is another) who take as much care to avoid parking dings.

And yes, I get back to the car and there will be someone next to me. The heart stopping moment as I then look for dents.

The best story I heard on this line happened to my neighbour some years ago. They found a huge, empty, beach car park. Parked up with no-one in sight. A while later, they saw some people trying to bump start a car. The car park was so big and deserted, there would have been room to bump start a 747. People got closer and closer to them until the inevitable happened!

Talking of beaches, the same thing can happen as a person (i.e. rather than as in a car). We once found a deserted beach; binoculars out and we could just make out a family as dots on the horizon. Much time passed and the dots were now much closer, and closer, until, yes, they sat down a few feet away from us.

Aaarghh!!!!!

Herd instinct? As in wildebeest? Is it OK to take a pet lion on to beaches where said lion could do what comes naturally then??!!

Skeletal

Covergirl 12:18 03 Jun 09

My workaround (if you're in a free supermarket car park) is to pick a corner the least populated area and park ON the line - maybe not dead centre, just over it so you have plenty of space to exit the car on one side yet only enough space for a motorbike to park on the other side. That way the next person usually parks in the next unoccupied space leaving a big gap.

Please ensure you know the local parking policies and attendant behaviour. I've never had a problem . . . so far !

Herd instinct - (quote) "A mentality characterized by a lack of individuality . . ."

Noldi 12:18 03 Jun 09

And I thought it was only me it happened to.

I always park away from other cars to avoid parking damage but for sure when you come back you find another car parked right beside mine. Are these people on a wind up or just attracted to parking beside lonely cars.

Noldi

Quickbeam 12:18 03 Jun 09

It doesn't happen on trains either. I think that was why they got rid of the corridor compartment coaches, you could have a train with only standing room left because there was one person already claiming each compartment!

Bingalau 12:22 03 Jun 09

fourm member. The sports centre is very true, but don't forget it might be an old codger like me who is only there for the swimming pool, or the beer!

Seth Haniel 13:32 03 Jun 09

we had a regular spot on Wembleys Sunday Market so we'd drive down overnight - park up on a totally deserted car park - sleep in car - get up in time to set up stall etc - usually without problem.
Except one time, we awoke to a full car park and we were parked at 90 degrees to all the other cars on either side :)

|||||||-|||||||

ened 15:41 03 Jun 09

I definitely think I have one on my back bumper.

I find this especially annoying because, the last time I was hit from behind, the insurance company refused to repair the car because it cost more than it (the car) was worth.

Despite the fact that I never asked the little boy to attach himself to my back seat, I was the loser!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…