Car insurance renewal

exdragon 17:14 08 Dec 10

How on earth is anyone ever able to pick an insurance company for a renewal? My current company have increased the premium by 50% because I was stupid enough to report an 'event' (someone tried to open a door with a screwdriver whilst in John Lewis' car park). I didn't make a claim.

I've just looked an various comparison sites, picked a couple and then looked at reviews. One comes out as 'don't touch with a bargepole' and gives nothing but bad reviews, while the same company gets mainly excellent reviews elsewhere with a very low number of 'not so good' comments.

I know people are more inclined to complain, especially when perhaps their pockets are being hit, but how on earth can I decide on the basis of such inconsistencies!

al's left peg 18:13 08 Dec 10

Try Tesco, they have provided me with a competitive quote this year.

Noldi 19:20 08 Dec 10

I agree Tesco.

My Wife had quite a large claim and they handled the whole thing well and the increase was not so bad on renewal?

Noldi

exdragon 23:28 08 Dec 10

I had a quick look before I went out tonight, but will in more depth tomorrow, when I can see the actual policy details.

Thanks for the recommendation.

interzone55 11:53 09 Dec 10

I can never work out how premiums are decided.

Earlier this year I moved about 2 miles across town.

At my previous residence my car was parked on the road & my premium was £340
At my new address I'm parked off the street behind locked, 8 foot high gates & my premium is £600

Next year I'm moving to a different town, the house is not on a main road, is around 2 miles from the nearest centre of population, the car will be garaged and covered by 24 hour CCTV with night vision. I fully expect a 4 figure insurance premium...

peter99co 12:26 09 Dec 10

They must think you have loads of dosh if you have to live behind an 8 foot gate :-)

peter99co 12:28 09 Dec 10

Maybe the insurance companies have a map to let us see where we should go to live and get a decent premium.

interzone55 12:45 09 Dec 10

I think the Skoda Fabia suggests otherwise...

JYPX 14:55 09 Dec 10

A friend of mine moved across the city from a run down area with a lot of car related crime, to a nicer residental area. His insurance premium was immediately increased.
This puzzled me at first until the penny dropped..

michaelw 15:25 09 Dec 10

Or you can have a look at MoneySavingExpert.Com click here

exdragon 15:48 09 Dec 10

I've looked at the three main comparison sites and picked a couple which seem reasonable, hence my initial question! Checking the reviews for each company brings such widely differing reports.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…