Car Insurance Groups

pj123 12:50 21 Apr 07

What is the criteria that determines a car insurance group?

I have two cars: a 1994 Toyota 1.3 5 door liftback, Insurance group 9 and a

1999 Daewoo 1.6 5 door hatchback automatic, Insurance group 6

Just seems strange to me that the 1.3 Toyota is in a higher group than a 1.6 Daewoo automatic?

spuds 13:18 21 Apr 07

Various criteria come into the equations provided by insurance companies.

Accident Impact, Parts replacements,Repair methods and cost, Availability , Purchase price and manufacturer's reliability are to name a few within the criteria for insurance grouping.

Still doesn't always mean that you will get cheaper insurance, so best to shop around for the best offer available. Price matching, cash-backs, monthly instalment plans can make a big difference to the final quote and deal.

johndrew 14:23 21 Apr 07

This may give you a clue click here or maybe this click here but I make no promises. Insurance is a black art!!!!!

pj123 15:16 21 Apr 07

Just got the renewal offer for my Daewoo yesterday.

It is Full Comp Any Driver.

I am in the RAC so gave them a ring. They don't do Any Driver. Rang my bank and same cover Fully Comp Any Driver quoted £118 less than my renewal offer. To me, that seems to put the Insurance Group criteria out of sync.

I have held a full driving licence since 1962, never had an accident or made a claim. My No Claims Discount is maximum. Maybe that is part of the criteria as well?

spuds 15:44 21 Apr 07

pj123

If your bank is Barclays, then you may have just missed out on their £50.00 cash-back and price match offer. If so, your £118.00 renewal quote would have perhaps been £68.00 fully comprehensive with an £80.00 excess.

Regarding the 'No Claims maximum discount', this can differ between insurance companies.

johndrew 16:28 21 Apr 07

`Just got the renewal offer ....`

I did say it was a `black art`!!

pj123 16:40 21 Apr 07

johndrew, yes you did! And I believe you.

I did read your links.

My renewal was for £326 and the quote from my bank (Lloyds TSB) was £208. Same car, same cover, but different insurance company.

So, the criteria goes out of the window. I think it is down to getting more customers.

Maybe I'll find out why the difference if I ever have to make a claim.

They do say "you get what you pay for"????

Colin 18:31 21 Apr 07

The criteria doesn't go out of the window. spuds posting is still correct as the criteria mentioned will always be used as a baseline to determine a premium. After that, it's up to the indsurance company to add on what they think is acceptable.

Pamy 20:03 21 Apr 07

pj123, I think both your quotes are far too much and would try a local broker if I were you

johndrew 09:59 22 Apr 07

A well known ploy these days is to `catch` you with a low offer price in the first year and to `sting` you subsequently. This seems to be where the `guarantee` to beat you quote comes from. This is also one reason I use a broker; if the price goes up I get alternatives offered.

hastelloy 11:06 22 Apr 07

click here,
it's surprising what a range of quotes you get!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…