Car insurance

VNAM75 21:56 11 May 08

I got a really cheap quote off confused.com for comprehensive cover at £275. For third paty fire and theft it works out at an amazingly low £215. I have full NCB.

I'm tempted to just go for the Third paty F&T cover but I was thinking that I am paying for the "benefit of someone else" - ie. to cover any eventuality of me damaging someone else's car. £215 now seems a lot to pay for this compared to £275 which covers accidental damage and includes other comprehensive benefits. My car is a focus 1.8 tdci 2002 valued at about £3500.

My past cars have been cheap small engine petrol models where I have always used third party cover as I did not think the cars justified comprehensive cover - ie, the odd bump or dent I could live with.

Is there a threshold (price, value, type of car etc) above which you should have comp cover? I know this is a lot down to personal decision but I want to get other opinions to help me with my decision. The car is metallic black with the luxury (ghia) trim and so its got quite good visual presence on the road.

WhiteTruckMan 22:15 11 May 08

should be the maximum value of a vehicle that you could afford to simply walk away from without (too much) financial hardship.

Or, to put it another way, imagine you wanted to get another vehicle and needed to dispose of your current one. Could you afford to simply give it away, say to a friend or family member? If the answer to this is no, then you need fully comp.

WTM

VNAM75 22:38 11 May 08

WhiteTruckMan, I've never thought of it in that way.
I think I'll get comp cover this year and third party next year.

I've based the decision on the extra cost for comp insurance being only an extra £1.15 per week.

Pamy 17:17 12 May 08

threshold, another way to look at it is, if you front heated windscreen (for example) was to be broken could you aford to replace it? Even a non-heated one could be expensive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced