Car Insurance

laurie53 19:58 04 May 08

I rang my insurance company yesterday, just to change the cover to a different car.

This simple task took half an hour, a lot of it on hold.

It appears my car does not appear in the insurance database. It’s a standard EU produced car, straight from a franchised dealer, been on sale for over a year and has won several awards, but my insurance company, a national company, does not recognize it.

When the apparent anomaly had been traced to it’s source, it appears that the model name is too long to fit in the relevant field on the database, so it is not recognized.

For Heaven’s sake! In the 21st century? ANPR cameras at every turn, police national computers, combined insurance and DVLA database, yet too many digits in a car name brings the whole system to a grinding halt?

My car is now insured as another, smaller, (in size not just in title!) model.

Now what happens if the police just happen to check my car and find that it is shown as an entirely different model?

MAT ALAN 20:04 04 May 08

YOU in the POO!! i would seriously consider changing your insurance policy to one that does recognise your car or change your car to comply with your policy...
I really do not see how you can be street legal when the details do not match...

Al94 20:06 04 May 08

You're clearly with the wrong company and need to move as a matter of urgency. Sounds like your insurance may be invalid. Try here with your details, saved me a fortune recently click here

Al94 20:11 04 May 08

Just to clarify, I changed my car and my broker quoted a substantially higher premium (almost twice) with same company, Norwich Union. I checked with confused.com and got a few lower quotes and ended up with broker dropping quote to less than my previous car and still with the same company!

laurie53 06:38 05 May 08

Think you guys misunderstand.

It is the national insurance (and the police and DVLA ) database which does not recognize my car.

No matter which company I went with the result would be the same.

The "solution" appears to be the standard one for insuring this particular model, since I am obviously not the first to come up with this problem.

Stuartli 08:39 05 May 08

You can easily check whether your car is listed on the Motor Insurance Database (which is the one used by the police). See:

click here

Stuartli 08:41 05 May 08

In view of the fact you have only just changed the insurance details and it's a bank holiday, they may not appear immediately.

Mr Mistoffelees 08:41 05 May 08

Perhaps the DVLA and Plod would like us all to go out and buy a Ford Ka, make it easy for thier database!

WhiteTruckMan 10:02 05 May 08

bookmarked, as it looks potentially usefull.

WTM

interzone55 10:18 05 May 08

what model car do you have?

Stuartli 10:38 05 May 08

I remember at the original Ka launch asking Ford big wigs if they were planning to introduce an Si model?

It took a while to sink in...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac