Car Boot Sales and Prices

Mary_S 15:22 05 Jun 09

Dear All,

My boyfriend and I are planning on selling at a car boot sale in the next couple of weeks. He in particular has alot of branded clothes which are still in pretty good condition. We are unsure on how much to sell them on at. While we want to get rid of them we do still obviosuly wanrt the get the best prices we can for them.

Has anyone bought clothes from a car boot sale before?
If so, what did you buy ? was it a branded name ? how good was the condition of it ? and most importantly how much did you pay?

To give you some examples, he has a Timberland t-shirt he bought for £15 (on sale 24.99 rrp) worn it literally 2-3 times the most, so it is still in very good condition (if we had the packaging labels it would pass as brand new). We are thinking £10. Is that too much for a car boot sales or reasonable given the t-shirt.

THank You

Si_L 15:40 05 Jun 09

I wouldn't buy it second hand for £10, I think second hand clothes depriciate more than other items, so don't be surprised if you can't shift it for any more than a fiver. Its best to let them make an offer, and then raise it a bit I think.

Mary_S 15:42 05 Jun 09

Thanks for the tip.

Si_L 15:46 05 Jun 09

Yeah for other things that aren't clothes you can expect more, but £10 for a second hand £15 t-shirt doesn't really say 'bargain', which is what people will be there for. You can always go in at £10 or a good offer, and they will come in at between £6-9, in which case you've made half your money back.

Mary_S 15:49 05 Jun 09

Hey,
This t-shirt would sell at £25.00 (rrp price not clearance as he bought) in a store, and it is still in very good condition which is why we hoping for tenner. But yeh, if someone says i buy it for 7 pounds we probs would sell it.
You boubght anyting yurserlf?

Si_L 16:04 05 Jun 09

Yeah I've brought lots from car boot sales, its a good place to go to get cheap stuff, but not the best place to sell as you can get better prices online, to a bigger market.

Mary_S 16:08 05 Jun 09

Yeh I think we get a better price if we sold some of the designer labels we got online, but we thoguht as long as we get a decent price we rather just try and sell everything in one go. We got some authentic Armani and Hugo Boss jeans that have never been worn. Was hoping to get £15 each for them but beginning to feel that it mite be too ambitious now.

Quickbeam 16:19 05 Jun 09

£2's nearer the mark, just look at the type of person buying on a car boot... they ain't got any money.

Mary_S 16:21 05 Jun 09

£2 ????? Argghhh.

Si_L 16:25 05 Jun 09

I personally would feel more comfortable buying items such as clothes from a car boot - you can check the size, condition and appearance of the seller, all of which you can't do online. £2 is way off the mark, you will get more than that.

Mary_S 16:33 05 Jun 09

Im gonna pop down to the place im intending to go. See how big busy it gets. If anyone else is selling clothes see how much they selling it for. I'll get a better idea of what we can expect to get.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…