Car Alarm Remote failure- a possible cause

jack 20:34 03 Dec 04

Have any of you been caught out by returnig to the car, only to find the Central lock/Alarm remote
will not perform ?
This happened to me yesterday, following a visit to my daughter in a near by town.
Using the key induced the usual howling and the engine remained imobilized.
There is a release code to enter by using the key, but needless to say I did not have that with me.
My D took me home to get the spare ket and the code and all was well.
As the car had been recently service [therefore new battery] I resove to give the service centre what fore next day.
This morning the errant device behaved perfectly.
So I went to discuss with the service centre the pros and cons.
The advive offered was - well any thing can go 'wrong' but in this case it was thought that
nearby radio transmission if heavy or close enough colud mask/blank the relatively weak signal from a central lock remote.
He went on to say it is a common problem in city centres- What do you thnik was he flanneling me?
I have to say that the vehicle was parked as it always is when on this visit withing a few meters of the PLA headquarters with all its Radio/Rader perafanalia on the roof top

fred 20:45 03 Dec 04

The radio blanking is a known problem. I jest not, touching the key to the head when pressing the button often helps. The skull acts as an antenna and gives an improved signal. Worth a try if it happens again.

spikeychris 20:52 03 Dec 04

Teacher I worked with used to have the same problem, his fob had difficulty transmitting due to interference from masts and sometimes he was locked out of his car unless he aimed it right at the receiver.

It's Me 21:45 03 Dec 04

There was a time when it was advisable not to use the fob to lock your car on the docks at Dover, as the umpteen electronic signals, which are there, caused chaos, and usually made it impossible to start the engine, even if you could get into the car which also was a problem. The cure was to have the cat towed out of the docks area to the top of the cliffs thereabouts when the fault disappeared.

I've also had other car's fobs, when used near me, setting off my alarm.

It is all progress you see!

josie mayhem 21:53 03 Dec 04

No you're aren't being fob off.

My friend had 3 choice in the end, has she was having so much trouble with the locking system locking her out. Either sale her BMW, stop going shopping ahhhh, or have the central alarm diconected. All because, the security systems for several of the shops in our area used the same frequencey has her alarm.

Coundn't face saleing her long awaited car, or not shopping so had the alarm discounected instead. Never happened again, nor was the car nicked!!

v1asco 22:10 03 Dec 04

Buy a renault scenic.

It has no key.

Walk up, open door, sit down.

Dash says Press start and clutch and off my wife drives.

She says next best thing to automatic garage door.

I live in a 3bed semi,have absolutely no road sense, trust her all the way and yes, have an electric garage door.

She now has trouble finding house keys.

A true case from a non driver but happy passenger.

Valvegrid 22:16 03 Dec 04

It is a well know problem, the 433MHz system the key fobs use share the same frequency as the 70cm amateur radio band and the Ministry of defence band, also very close to 433MHz is the PMR and Police bands, both with high power transmitters which are capable of overloading the very poor spec receivers in the car security systems.

The problem has been known for several years:

click here

kev.Ifty 00:13 04 Dec 04

It may be worth trying.... Open the door with the key sit in side, close the doors and windows and then press the 'key fob'. You should then eliminate the outside influences.

Jackcoms 08:08 04 Dec 04

A number of interesting points here about being locked out of the car if the fob fails.

I drive a 2-year old VW Golf. If the fob doesn't work (for instance its' battery fails), I simply use the key in the door lock in the 'old fashioned' way and, as long as I turn on the ignition within 30 seconds, I'm not immobilised nor does the alarm go off.

jack 08:54 04 Dec 04

thanks one an all for the enlightenment.
Now we know.

Good tip. if with out the release code - from Kev Ifty
get in quick and reset from inside.
easier to remember than putting key in -turn 4 time left 5 times right etc., etc., even if I did remember to have the code with me.

Sir Radfordin 13:03 04 Dec 04

My dad's volvo had a similar problem after having been left in a rail station carpark for 20 mins. Apparently they get a lot of problems being reported. They now keep the spare key in the car because whilst you can unlock the doors with the key the code on the key doesn't work in the ignition to disengage the imobiliser.

Did point out the slight security risk in doing this but there we go, guess if someone wants to break in they will find a way to take the thing anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…