Canon Repair Prices

cheekybaldy2 21:09 11 Jan 05

After purchasing a canon mv530i two years ago and returning it within a week because of eating tapes,I decided (after many good years with a canon 35mm) to try Canon again. I purchased another MV530i and now two years later find it has a fault. The local camera clinic sent it back to Canon explaining that it would be at least £150, any more and an estimate would be sent.
Today an estimate has come of £439 for a new card, almost the same as a new camera. I requested the camera returned without repair and am now rather disgusted with such a price. Can anyone advise if the same is of all repair estimates.How can they justify charging so much after two years.

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:42 11 Jan 05

Household insurance.

Household insurance only covers accidental damage.

spuds 13:49 12 Jan 05

Canon may justify the fact that older type component availability is a problem, and requires special sourcing, if the camera is now discontinued.Sixty plus pounds per hour for a technicians time perhaps needs to be added, and so the list goe's on.I am not saying this is right by any means, but that is the way the world is today.

As a possible comparison, look at printers nowadays. In a lot of cases it is more economical to bin a faulty printer after it as run out of warranty, than to even consider a repair or an extended warranty policy.Things like cameras are becoming better and cheaper, and are tending to fall into the same recycling scrap process.

Stuartli 17:44 14 Jan 05

Canon haven't made any repair money out of me to date - my BJC 600e is nine years old now and still working as solidly, quietly and virtually vibration free as the day I bought it; the print head is also the original.

All it needs is one or more of its four (£2 each) cartridges replacing/refilling every so often.

davidg_richmond 22:58 14 Jan 05

All camcorders are dear to repair, and always have been. Either invest in a warranty upon purchase or bin and buy anew in case of failure. Lots of moving parts, miniaturisation, exposure to a wide range of temperatures meaning condensation is a risk and capacity for being knocked about makes them a high risk item for failure. Manufacturers can only do so much to ensure reliability, beyond that its up to you to take the best of care.

anchor 10:38 17 Jan 05

We live in a throw away society where companies want us to buy new, not have our old items repaired.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…