click here

Haven't seen a bowler for years

uk-wizard 05:39 28 Feb 11

Yes - if you show horses they are essential. click here

BT 08:29 28 Feb 11

You can even get them on Amazon !

click here

Quickbeam 08:46 28 Feb 11

Before we moved out of London, when I was 8, I used to see lots of men on the station at the end of the garden wearing them to go into the city. Now I just think of Mr Steed when I see one.

Bingalau 10:12 28 Feb 11

A heck of a lot of them are worn by ex officers of military regiments when attending parades etc. As a matter of interest the Royal Marines officers recently stopped wearing them preferring to wear berets. The army still wear bowlers as far as I know. I have no idea what Royal Navy ex-officers wear. For those of you who do not know..The Royal Marines are a part of the Royal Navy, I hear that by the end of this year they will number a fifth of the Royal Navy. Far too many cuts to the Royal Navy in my opinion.

Woolwell 10:27 28 Feb 11

Naval Officers - Bowlers for Remembrance Day in London otherwise there isn't a designated headwear.
Hear hear to your last sentence.

MAJ 10:29 28 Feb 11

You're not an Orangeman then. click here

Grey Goo 12:45 28 Feb 11

Seems the Bowlers have gone underground.
click here

jakimo 13:36 28 Feb 11

They can still be seen at 'horsey' events and
favoured by Cambridge Uni. porters

peter99co 13:51 28 Feb 11

I have paraded past the Queen 3 times in mine during Special Regimental gatherings

Once a year it is used on Rememberance Day parades in Local Town.

I got mine from a Street Trader quite a few years ago.

Forum Editor 17:28 28 Feb 11

from my father. I tried it on once, since when it has resided in a very posh Gieves and Hawkes box on a shelf in my wardrobe.

My father wore it when he worked at the Air Ministry during his last RAF posting. He wasn't required to wear uniform every day, so he travelled up to London each day wearing his bowler. In those days bowlers were a common sight in London, but not now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…