Can you get extradited from a privately owned island?

Chronos the 2nd 09:30 AM 11 Apr 13

I think the thread title really says it all. If I own an island but commit a crime serious enough to warrant extradition in another country, could I be extradited from my island?

fourm member 09:35 AM 11 Apr 13

Unless your island was a sovereign state in its own right then the question of extradition would depend on the laws of the state that included your island.

Chronos the 2nd 09:40 AM 11 Apr 13

Bang goes that idea then.lol.

chub_tor 09:58 AM 11 Apr 13

You could always go to The Principality of Sealand and seek asylum....

carver 10:01 AM 11 Apr 13

If you own your island and it is in international waters then you can not be extradited from it legally.

fourm member 10:20 AM 11 Apr 13

carver

Two problems with your comment;

1. Are there any islands that have not been claimed as part of another country's territory? Given that the tiniest rock can claim a large expanse of territorial waters, I doubt it.
  2. If such an island can be found then how do you demonstrate ownership? I.e. who did you buy it from?
  Bing.alau 10:37 AM 11 Apr 13

I suppose if an island pops up in the middle of the Pacific and you claim it first, then it is yours and you don't have to buy it from anybody.

fourm member 11:18 AM 11 Apr 13

Bing.alau

When that happens there is always a country that argues the island is part of its continental land mass and, therefore, part of its territory.

I can't see the world sitting back and accepting anyone saying 'I saw it first so it is mine'.

Quickbeam 11:24 AM 11 Apr 13

It's a lot harder to claim an island now than in Captain Cooks day. But hasn't it always been an 'I saw it first so it is mine' rule?

It's just that if you have a bigger navy, you can persuade whoever saw it first, that they must surely have been mistaken!

onthelimit1 11:35 AM 11 Apr 13

Chronus - what on earth have you done?! :-)

Chronos the 2nd 11:38 AM 11 Apr 13

onthelimit1

Purely speculative my good man.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

OS X Yosemite vs Windows 10: The Mac and PC operating systems go head to head UPDATED