Can someone explain this for me?

Forum Editor 19:15 03 Jun 08

I just nipped round to our local sorting office to post a few letters - there's a late collection there, which I missed, but that's my fault.

In the wall of the building there's a huge mailbox, and for years I've happily deposited mail in it - that's what it's there for, after all.

Tonight it has a large sign taped to the front:

"This mailbox must not be used for posting large amounts of mail"

Sorry? I thoght that's what mailboxes - especially huge ones in sorting office walls - were for. I'm sure I'm missing something here, but what is it?

DANZIG 19:19 03 Jun 08

I wonder how large a 'large' amount of mail is??

ray7 19:20 03 Jun 08

probably health and safety reasons. The postman might hurt his back lifting all your mail.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:24 03 Jun 08

No one writes letters anymore... thats what e-mail and texting is for.

Mailboxes are there to brighten up the streets and provide a meeting point for kids to hang around / vandalise and for us oldies to reminisce over when we had a reliable reasonably priced postal system.

peter99co 19:24 03 Jun 08

They mean mailshots which can be a problem. My firm had to bundle in 25/50 and put in a bag for the post to collect. Probably a separate service.

Noels 19:25 03 Jun 08

But where I live in a village there are several small firms who occasionaly bung up the post boxes with hundreds of large envelopes. Thus preventing ordinary souls posting their one or two ordinary size envelopes.
I am aware that these firms normally hand their bulk posings in over the counter but don't always manage this before the post office closes.
I imagine this may be the problem in your area.
Regards
Noels

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:25 03 Jun 08

Didn't someone say the post office is reducing its carbon footprint, cant do that if there re large amounts of mail to deliver.

namtas 19:59 03 Jun 08

I would assume that it is because at that particular location it is very likely to get much use than a normal box and security issues come up as happens when a postal strike occurs, some seem to have no common sense and will try to stuff mail in to overfill capacity leaving there own and others vulnerable and retrievable by anyone who wishes to help themselves

oresome 20:19 03 Jun 08

It's the thinking of the old nationalised industries. Limit the demand to what you're comfortable with.

Remember when you waited 6 months for a phone, and then it was on a shared line and came in any colour you liked as long as it was black?

TopCat® 20:23 03 Jun 08

Because of security constraints, which probably means doors and windows always remain closed, it sounds like an overheating sorting office to me. Any excess of mail could cause the staff to actually break out in a sweat, and that would never do these days, would it? :o) TC.

Jim Thing 20:53 03 Jun 08

... has hit the nail on the head I think. If the cash-strapped Royal Mail forces you to have bulk mail collected there'll be a charge for collecting it, and that's another much-needed source of income.

Cynical? Me?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…