Can opener,

wolfie3000 09:21 08 Sep 09

Been looking to replace our old butterfly can opener and came across this can opener,

click here

Anyone had any experience with this type of can opener?
Is it worth getting or should a stick to the old type butterfly can openers.

johndrew 09:59 08 Sep 09

I have no personal experience, but a friend bought one as she is getting a little frail and with old age ..... Added to that I`m not sure if it was exactly the same make/model.

Anyway she couldn`t get on with it. Found it wouldn`t work properly; sometimes it would part open a tin other times it just `stalled` and wouldn`t even start to cut the lid off. Eventually she replaced it with a mechanical opener from one of the supermarkets.

Should add that most of the tins were cat food; whether this makes a difference or not I doubt.

dagbladet 10:01 08 Sep 09

There are many factors to consider before you commit to this decision.

Are you a heavy can user?

Do you have difficulty using manual can openers?

Can you spare £9 for a can opener (plus batteries occassionally)?

Are you prepared to accept that if you do go for the auto and subsequently find it not to your liking, you can revert to manual and move on with your life without too many regrets?

Don't just leap in Wolfie, give it some thought.

numskull 10:09 08 Sep 09

Got one. Quite good when they work but mine has packed up after less than 6 months. If the can lid gets stuck it is extremely difficult removing it. I have never found the release screw to work! If you do get one get a rechargeable one.

jack 10:33 08 Sep 09

So many of these electric convenience gadgets are poor manufacture and short life.
Hanging on the wall in the kitchen is a 'Prestige' -'clip in the can and crank the handle'which takes the lid off inside the seam.
Its been there 30 years opens all cans- cylindrical or oblong [Sardines/Corned beef]
also have the 'Butterfly' type with scissor grip handles which takes the lid off from under the seam works well but leaves a sharp edge.

tein 10:34 08 Sep 09

I MUCh prefare! thsi one & its so simple to use & ours has lasted 4 years!
click here

However here is the one your after!

Argos have a AMAZING returns policy!

click here

oresome 10:45 08 Sep 09

The annoying thing is that most, BUT NOT ALL cans now have a ring pull lid and don't need the use of a can opener.

Like wine bottles.........most of the cheaper brands now have screwtops, but not all. Forget the corkscrew and guess what you'll encounter?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:52 08 Sep 09

Looks like you've opened a can of worms with this thread

sorry couldn't resist :0)

Opening cans gets harder as one gets older and cannot squeeze the can opener hard enough.

I thought all cans were now the ring pull type can't remember last time I used a can opener.

Hardest cans to open if I remember correctly were those odd shaped corned beef or tinned ham ones.

Quickbeam 11:00 08 Sep 09

Most things I buy canned have a ring pull. The cheaper own brads supermarket stuff don't, but I only buy canned fruit on own brands. So for occasional use I still have an old butterfly type in the drawer.

Princes corned beef in Morrisons now gives you the choice of ring pull, or traditional twist key which I prefer as the twist key opens the can a third of the way up and makes it easier the get the corned beef out complete.

cream. 11:07 08 Sep 09

I would of thought with your gaming experience that a quick flick of the wrist with a sabre would flip the top right off :-)

as with Fruit Bat /\0/\, sorry about the dark humour.

We have had various different types over the years and all have ended up in the bin.

We now use the old type butterfly one from wilko's.

Bingalau 11:54 08 Sep 09

Those ring pull types on a tin of sardines can be a nuisance, you get it half opened and it refuses to go any further without a severe pull. That usually ends up with half the contents over you and the floor etc. Sometimes a nasty cut if you are not very careful. Sardines in Tomato Sauce are the worst offenders.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…