Can it be Done, without SHOUTING?

Dorsai 18:05 18 Nov 04

When posting to this forum, is there anyway to EMPHASISE a word, without shouting it?

In a normal text doc. it it possible to either use italics, or to underline a word.

But here, I can't seem to do either.

spikeychris 18:39 18 Nov 04

Can't be done. The formatting is ripped out by the database.

Dorsai 18:45 18 Nov 04

Any reason why?

Gaz 25 18:45 18 Nov 04

Probably because, it is extra information for one which uses memory at server level, and two would be simply it allows hackers to pass code to the server via html.

I would personally like to see a bold tag though, as that would be very useful.

Dorsai 19:04 18 Nov 04

I dont know anyting about HTML coding, or the like, but the ability to HIGHLIGHT lext in some manner, without shouting, would be nice.

Most fonts have seem to have a bold or italic option. Wonder what font this site uses for the thread text.

a Capital Letter requires no code, it's just part of the font. It the font also had bold/italic, it's not code, just part of the character set, like all the rest, a's, b's "'s £'s, €'s etc.

Some useres manage a copyright and a TM sign. No code required. Still dont know how Vog (TM) does it thought.

Pesala 19:09 18 Nov 04

Bold is indicated by *asterisks* before and after the word to be emphasised, while _underlining_ is shown like this. Not sure about /italics/ - I guess that would do. Another way might be to use s p a c i n g.

Dorsai 19:17 18 Nov 04

Ha. That *is* the sort of thing i was /thinking/ of when i started the _thread_.

many thanks Pesala,

I may not remember which is what, but if i want to make a /point/ i can at least do it politley, and without *shouting*.

powerless 19:27 18 Nov 04

Well the forum has been going for 4 years?

I think it's coped well without formatting of bold, italics etc.

I see no reason for PCA to now incorporate this...

Sometimes yes it helps but only sometimes.

spikeychris 20:22 18 Nov 04

™ ™ ™ ™ ™ ™ ™ ™

Just use the character map.

spikeychris 20:25 18 Nov 04

Valvegrid 21:47 18 Nov 04

?????

Test

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…