Can IE 7 really stop spoofing/phishing of websites

CurlyWhirly 07:43 20 Feb 05

click here

This is one area of security that REALLY worries me, as I use my computer for buying things online and internet banking.
I think that the rising number of people that are turning to alternative browsers has really urged Microsoft to come up with a 'fix' until Longhorn is released.

Will this version of Internet Explorer REALLY be any safer security wise?

kenzy 08:03 20 Feb 05
  wiz-king 08:24 20 Feb 05

Until the need for security is firmly entrenched into all computer users - along with a modicum of commonsence - then these scams will catch someone out. For once I feel sorry for Microsoft, trying to protect the consumer from himself is a thankless task. I have found people at work trying to disable the firewall and antivirus on a pc because it wont let them download their favorite music site. "It's got a problem, so I turned it off!".

Some of our customers are as bad, when you have lots of emails for several different departments to sort out ones with a blank title bar arent going to the top of the sort list!

CurlyWhirly 08:30 20 Feb 05

Kenzy
Good link, thanks.

Wiz-king
No I wasn't asking for the impossible, just querying whether Internet Explorer can be as safe as alternative browsers such as Firefox after the new version is released. ;-)

CurlyWhirly 08:57 20 Feb 05

I should have renamed my topic heading to 'Can IE 7 really REDUCE spoofing/phishing of websites'
Doh! :-)

octal 09:03 20 Feb 05

One way is not to click on any link, including the ones in your favorites, but to type the full URL address in the bar like https: // www .mybank.alliance-leicester.co.uk/ without the spaces.

CurlyWhirly 09:06 20 Feb 05

Thanks.
So by typing the *full* URL address (including the HTTPS) in to Google, this is much safer then?

sattman 10:03 20 Feb 05

How does that work ?

pc moron 13:04 20 Feb 05

Here's one explanation of spoofing- IE was patched a while ago.

click here

CurlyWhirly 13:11 20 Feb 05

I just clicked on the Secunia spoofing test and up popped a warning screen saying that a Trojan had been detected.
So obviously McAfee VirusScan is doing a grand job (as always), even though it isn't a dedicated trojan scanner. :-)

pc moron 13:11 20 Feb 05

I did read somewhere that if you right click the page and select Properties, the URL displayed there can't be spoofed (IE).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…