Can anyone tell me why

finerty 19:04 21 Nov 11

enter link description here

This man is allowed into the UK even though he has a previous conviction of murdering someone in his own country.

zzzz999 19:20 21 Nov 11

Latvia is in the EU, free movement of peoples, goods and trade

Aitchbee 19:28 21 Nov 11

Yes, I can tell you why, finerty.

Border Controls, the responsibility of Teresa May, are a shambles.

Forum Editor 19:37 21 Nov 11

Rick'scafe is right.

This man is an EU citizen, and as such he has the right to be here. The fact that he has a previous criminal conviction does not prejudice that right.

AitchBEE's inference that it has something to do with lax Border controls is nonsense. If we stopped every EU citizen who had a previous conviction from moving across our border we would be stopping people all the time, and thousands of our own citizens would be stopped at the borders of other EU countries.

Aitchbee 19:45 21 Nov 11

FE - Murderers are a special case, don't you think?

bremner 19:59 21 Nov 11

The Schengen Convention allows freedom of movement between EU states for its residents.

There are however exemptions. It states

Restrictions on the right of entry and the right of residence on grounds of public policy, public security or public health...

...Previous criminal convictions do not automatically justify expulsion.

The important word here is "automatically. The implication is is that someone can be refused entry because of their convictions but this can not automatically the case.

It would be interesting to know what considerations were given in allowing his entry.

morddwyd 20:52 21 Nov 11

"Murderers are a special case"

And rapists aren't? Or paedophiles? Or jihadists?

Where do you draw the line, and who draws it?

Aitchbee 21:03 21 Nov 11

The UK Government should protect the UK public, (forget about drawing any lines),from seriously bad foreign individuals to our shores.

They, (our elected Government) are responsible, and we put them there to do that job!

zzzz999 06:12 22 Nov 11

The guy was involved in a car accident, he did not revert to being an axe wielding murderer.

Dear Gawd if we started refusing entry for criminals to countries in the EU where would we put all of our blaggers currently sunning themselves in Spain.

finerty 17:41 22 Nov 11

[heres an update1

I hope the law will change soon

Autoschediastic 05:39 23 Nov 11

Without going into any details here i knew an Afican chap who was a friend of a friend, when i lived in Hull i got to know this person who had NO legal rights to be in the uk he had no paper work nothing he basically came in on illegal forged passport.

He had a pretty eye opening criminal past most which was based around scams and ripping off companies in his country, one of his "Claims to fame" as he put it was doing some rather nasty things to someone who made a pass on his ex things that over here we would goto prison over, This person managed to sponge off a rather wealthy widdow in her mid 60's the chap who i am talking about here is only in his 30' so the age difference was huge!

Now this guy drives a M-Tech Bmw (No legal UK drivers license) and lives a life of Riley due to milking this widdow? a few months ago i had heard he took what he could from this woman and left a large whole in her finances, having lived in the UK for 6 years he is applying for citizenship & he stands a decent chance as he has quite a bit of money now a days since ripping off the lady. should people like this be in the UK.? IMHO "NO"..we have enough of our own doing it here..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009