Can anyone enlighten me as to why

Forum Editor 19:02 01 Mar 15

Islamic militants feel it necessary to do this kind of thing?

What possible reason is there for destroying irreplaceable antiquities, thus denying future generations access to the history of a nation? It's as if they can't tolerate any evidence of a culture other than the one they seek to impose.

It has happened many times throughout history, and as far as I'm aware, all of the regimes which carried out this kind of cultural vandalism have in time ceased to exist themselves. History surely teaches us that, in the end, the will of the people always prevails over those who would rule by violence and intimidation. Unfortunately that blindingly obvious fact seems to have escaped those who are currently rampaging around in Mosul.

bumpkin 19:21 01 Mar 15

Because that is the sort of thing that they do, were I to have posed the question then I would have been called a racist and told to understand others actions.

bumpkin 19:31 01 Mar 15

They are false gods so have to be destroyed or sold on the black market, which shows the mentality of the perpetrators. False gods must be destroyed unless we can make a few bob.

Al94 19:51 01 Mar 15

Fortunately most if not all were replicas click here

john bunyan 20:17 01 Mar 15

In Afghanistan too - A Buddha of Bamiyan statue was blown up with dynamite by the Talban.

Taliban

The extreme Muslim factions seem to have no regard for the cultural values of others. I thought that Christians, Jews, and Muslims were all "people of The Book, but apparently not. Regrettably this extreme group can only be stopped by force.

wee eddie 20:17 01 Mar 15

I feat that this kind of action can be expected in Russia and its Satellites during the next few years as Putin consolidates his powerbase.

bumpkin 20:28 01 Mar 15

Let them destroy whatever their wishes, who are we to critcise anonother culture.

bumpkin 20:29 01 Mar 15

edit another

wee eddie 21:34 01 Mar 15

Maybe this outrage will be sufficient to get their siblings off their asses!

bumpkin 21:41 01 Mar 15

Maybe this outrage will be sufficient to get their siblings off their asses!

To carry out more destruction I assume. Let them smash up all the artifacts in the world if that is what god said we seem to let them do anything else they choose.

Forum Editor 22:10 01 Mar 15

bumpkin

"were I to have posed the question then I would have been called a racist and told to understand others actions."

Really? Who would have done that?

Get a grip on reality. There's nothing racist about criticising the actions of religious fanatics, and that's what I am doing. As for your comment "Let them smash up all the artifacts in the world if that is what god said" What nonsense - God has nothing to do with it.

These people are not acting in this way because God told them to do it, they are simply mindless vandals, obeying the instructions of other mindless vandals.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…