Calm down, dear, it's only Death!

SillBill 21 Jan 13
Answered

Michael Winner dies at 77.

Quickbeam 21 Jan 13
Answer

Was he given a bad meal and gave it the ultimate thumbs down?

SillBill 21 Jan 13

Quickbeam

he had a few of them that nearly killed him. In the end his liver did the evil deed.

morddwyd 21 Jan 13

Remember him saying he was a great believer in teamwork.

"A bunch of people doing what I tell them to!"

My kind of bloke, but I suspect he might have cost me the odd promotion!

Forum Editor 21 Jan 13

Michael was the kind of person you either loved or hated. I loved him for his ability to detect and deflate phonies, and for his sense of fun - he knew exactly what life was for.

Unfortunately there are few like him, now that we've turned blandness into an art form.

morddwyd 22 Jan 13

How very true, on both counts.

Aitchbee 22 Jan 13

Many of his films [which he directed] had a common thread. Winner once said:-

" There is a recurring theme ... and the theme is somebody who is a loner, who makes a grand gesture; nearly every film was about somebody saying ...

... ' I'm going to do something special 'cos I'm not satisfied with the aethos of the society in which I live. ' ".

Goodbye Michael.

Forum Editor 22 Jan 13

He turned down the offer of an OBE because he felt the honours system has been devalued.

Subsequently his personal letterheading read: 'Michael Winner, MA CAM OBE (but rejected)'

Quickbeam 22 Jan 13

Maybe there was some sour grapes there. It strikes me that he thought nothing less than a Knighthood would be good enough for him...

carver 22 Jan 13

"It strikes me that he thought nothing less than a Knighthood would be good enough for him..."

I don't think he would have accepted even that, he was satisfied just being himself.

Bing.alau 22 Jan 13

I wonder how long it will be before somebody starts slagging him off?

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

Microsoft claims its new VR lens system is better than Oculus Rift's

Apple Music preview: Why Spotify should be scared of Apple's impressive new music-streaming service

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message