Calligraphy Poirot's letter to Hastings

sunnypete 14:47 14 Nov 13
Answered

All you calligraphy experts, I am wondering if the script Poirot used in his letter to Hastings last night was a standard form. It didn't seem to be copper plate. I should like to be able to write like that!

BT 11:11 15 Nov 13

Sorry to disappoint you, but I've had a look at the episode and the script is nothing special just a rather poorly executed attempt at an Italic hand but with little consistency and 'printed' with no 'joined up' writing. That said its quite legible but I think rather forced presumably in the interests of TV. Certainly not Calligraphy in the accepted sense.

If you want to see how Italic is really written here's a part of a YouTube tutorial for children, and there'slots of other stuff on YouTube

Italic on Youtube

sunnypete 17:52 15 Nov 13

BT Thanks for your comments. I don't use joined-up anyway, since a slight trauma some years ago. I just thought the hand-writing looked a bit more attractive than my present scrawl. I'll look through your YouTube link and try to improve my hand. Trouble is, I'm always in too much of a hurry to produce something at all elegant...I was rather taken by the letter "t" at the end of his signature...

BT 08:31 16 Nov 13

Glad to be of assistance.

When I was young we had handwriting lessons at school. In those days we were taught the Marion Richardson style

Marion Richardson

From what I've noticed these days I'm not so sure that children are taught Handwriting as such any more. I'm appalled that many don't even know how to hold a pen properly with the resulting poor standard of handwriting. I realise that much schoolwork is now done on computer but I still think that children should at least be taught how to hold a pen properly and produce neat legible script.

I used to be quite proud of my handwriting and taught myself to write 'proper' Italic script with a flat nibbed pen and enjoyed doing it, with the result that my school books were neat and legible. Even now 50 years on although its evolved with time and is not now true Italic it still shows vestiges of it.

sunnypete 10:01 16 Nov 13
Answer

BT Thanks for your further comments, and I agree the modern generation's writing, in the majority of cases, leaves a lot to be desired, or puzzled over. I hadn't heard of the Marion Richardson method. Perhaps I'll see if our local library has anything to offer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009