C or F degrees? Your choice.

Blackhat 23:11 02 Dec 08

I find it common that in the colder weather we tend to refer to the temperature in degrees Celsius/Centigrade but in the warm we tend to use degrees Fahrenheit.

We often say ‘in the 80’s or 90’s’ in the summer but always -2 0r -4 in the winter.

Any reason for this and which do you prefer?

Si_L 23:24 02 Dec 08

Sounds colder when you say minus I guess. I can't stand Fahrenheit, now we have a better system to measure temperature, why does it still exist?

Forum Editor 00:13 03 Dec 08

but every time I mention a temperature my wife says "What is that in real degrees?", and I have to do a conversion for her. It's being going on for years, and she shows no inclination to familiarise herself with the Centigrade scale.

Even my car, which is German, can't make its own mind up - it helpfully offers me the option to choose between the two scales for the dashboard display.

Blackhat 00:29 03 Dec 08

Even the BBC weather centre gives you the option. When will we end up with just one universal temperature scale?

Again I ask, which do you prefer and why?

lotvic 00:38 03 Dec 08

I always have to 'convert' C to F or I am unsure if it is going to be hot or just warm. Funnily enough I don't have a prob with freezing weather (-1 centigrade)

There are more temperature scales in use. The UK adopted Celsius as part of Metrication in the 70's
* 1 Kelvin
* 2 Celsius (Centigrade)
* 3 Fahrenheit
* 4 Rankine
* 5 Delisle
* 6 Newton
* 7 Réaumur
* 8 Rømer

(I looked on Wikipedia ;-))

Forum Editor 00:45 03 Dec 08

Celsius

and why?

Because it's easier to understand, and everyone in Europe uses it.

Si_L 01:00 03 Dec 08

Which do I prefer?

Celsius

and why?

--------

Because it makes sense, water freezes at 0° and boils at 100°. Its easier to associate a temperature to a particular reading if that makes sense.

I know Kelvin uses 0° as absolute zero, but in reality, and outside a lab, we will never see that happen.

I use Celsius for the reasons stated above, and probably typically for my generation (I'm 20), I find using Fahrenheit fairly pointless.

John B 07:13 03 Dec 08

Celsius and centigrade ... why are there two terms?

Quickbeam 07:57 03 Dec 08

but an adopter of degrees c.

On the makes 'makes sense' statement, there is some sense in Fahrenheit's scale click here but Mr Celsius's scale makes more sense for everyday use.

newman35 08:04 03 Dec 08

"why centigrade?"

The scale is divided into 100 units between freezing and boiling, so centi-grade, as in centi-metre (100 units to a metre).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…