Buying Clothes

laurie53 08:27 10 Jul 07

One of my sweaters looks as though it has seen better days, which means I have to think about replacing it.

To me this means that about twenty months to five years from now I will start popping into the odd charity shop now and again until I find something that looks as though it’s been “lived in”.

To my wife, on the other hand this means that starting this very morning we must visit every department store, gents’ outfitters woollen mill and any other likely prospect within fifty miles until we get the latest in chic (can blokes’ gear be “chic”?) designer leisure wear.

Talk about irreconcilable differences!

wee eddie 09:06 10 Jul 07

Designer wear will turn you into a "Babe" Magnet.

wee eddie 09:08 10 Jul 07

she may start thinking that she can spend the difference on something useful, like that stuff from Boots that keeps selling out!

Giant68 09:38 10 Jul 07

I find that I have to buy whatever fits, being 6'8" that isn't easy. There are places like High & Mighty but their prices seem to be high for clothing that I don't feel is very good quality. M & S generally have stuff to fit and reasonable prices. But what amazes me is the difference in sizes between shops. An XXL shirt that M&S makes to fit a 50" chest is only made to fit a 46" chest in BHS. There doesn't seem to be a standard. Same with shoes, I take a UK 14 but I can buy a UK 12 in Cotton Traders that fits. I have more shoes than my wife or even Immelda Marcos as if I find a pair that fit I buy them because I don't know when I will find another.
I now find that I have to buy new trousers as my wife has thron out a perfectly good pair, my favourites, saying they are worn out. I am going to lock my wardrobe!!

Giant68

bluto1 10:01 10 Jul 07

My wife is currently trying to empty my wardrobe of my favourite clothes. The only thing wrong with them is they're lived in. They have no compassion for us, have they? I'm on the verge of telling her she looks more worn than some of my clothes, but I think I'll have to hold off on that one. She packs a vicious retort.

spuds 12:58 10 Jul 07

Take her into a fashionable ladies shop, show her the prices, then explain that the remaining money in your pocket will just about buy a charity shop men's sweater for yourself. That always seems to work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced