Is Business So Good?

oresome 16:49 05 Sep 08

I've spent most of the day booking the car in for a service at a large dealership. (I actually started yesterday)

The phone is always anwered by the telephonist who then has to pass you through to the service desk for the marque. Invariably the service desk is already dealing with a customer either face to face or on the telephone.

I've left my number once for them to call back, but had to go out before they did. (They did ring back)

Finally I've spent fifteen minutes chatting to the telephonist, who was within sight of the service desk, so that she could put me through once the service receptionist had finished dealing with a customer at the desk.

It would appear that two service receptionists have been reduced to one. Considering that each car booked in is physically inspected for bodywork damage to avoid arguments over subsequent claims and the whole process of noting customer requirements is quite lengthy, I'm suprised the phone ever gets answered and that they manage to take any bookings for new business.

peter99co 17:07 05 Sep 08

I went to my dealership and booked a full service and in less than five minutes was on my way out of the door. They are even collecting and delivering as part of the service.

BT 17:11 05 Sep 08

No trouble with mine a couple of months ago.
They had my Reg No. and all my details on their Computer and I had it booked in within a couple of minutes.

peter99co 18:34 05 Sep 08

My sister in law worked for a garage who made one of three mechanics redundant. One of the remaining mechanics went on holiday (booked previously) and the other took ill without warning. The work piled up as a result. The garage went to the wall not long after.

spuds 15:40 06 Sep 08

I nip round to a friend of mine who owns a garage and MOT station. Over a quick cuppa and nose around, the cars booked in.

Pineman100 17:50 07 Sep 08

Our village car repairer has a corrugated iron shed, on the edge of a field. But he's got all the up-to-date gear to MOT, repair or service any car. He charges much less than a dealership, does excellent work, and sends you a bill at the end of the month. He's much cheaper for tyres, batteries, etc. than any of the "rapid installation" jockeys. And he knows most of his customers personally, so wouldn't dream of letting them down.

You can keep your main dealerships, thank you.

peter99co 18:05 07 Sep 08

I had a Car Mechanic who after many years under/inside cars gave up because he was fed up of going home everyday covered in dirt. He wanted clean finger nails for a change. A very good mechanic as well. Still into cars but wears a suit now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant