Bus Lane to be Scrapped

morddwyd 09:42 04 Oct 10

The Government are to start scrapping bus lanes.

click here

Well of course they would.

Buses are only used by poor people and the working class!

(Just in case anyone doesn't realise, that's meant to be tongue in cheek!)

QuizMan 09:48 04 Oct 10

Unless I misread the article, it is only the M4 bus lane and there are very few people (mainly taxi drivers) that will mourn its loss.

Quickbeam 10:02 04 Oct 10

They should replant it as woodland click here ...

spuds 10:56 04 Oct 10

Apparently Two Jags is very disappointed.

Talking about bus lanes, we have one not far from where I live. One bus an hour uses it now, between 6am and 8pm (if necessary). The whole joke of the matter, is that the bus lane is 24/7/365 and the council didn't realise it (and still haven't done anything about it).

Placing this particular bus lane as reduced the width of the road, and some very scary moments can be had, when a juggernaut going to the nearby industrial estate tries to pass. Safety conscious, public transport efficiency and accident prevention- I think not!.

johndrew 12:19 04 Oct 10

Leaving a lane empty for much of the time on a busy motorway is not a sensible move. Buses run less frequently in these lanes which makes it a waste - unless you are called Blair and have the lane named after you click here ;-))

QuizMan 16:41 04 Oct 10

The Friends of the Earth argument from johndrew's link is, frankly, laughable. To claim it will raise pollution is a nonsense. I dread to think how much extra was emitted by cars crawling along in queues as opposed to using all the lanes at a sensible speed. I would not betting that the point nought nought something saving in annual UK pollution was far outstripped by the CO2 emissions by contractors' vehicles during the construction phase.

QuizMan 16:43 04 Oct 10

I would not betting = I would not mind betting...apologies

Forum Editor 17:16 04 Oct 10

uses the section of the M4 between Heathrow and Central London on a regular basis will rejoice at not having to sit fuming in crawling traffic and look at an empty lane stretching into the distance, with only the occasional black cab and/or motorcycle using it.

It's known as the Blair Lane, because Tony Blair used to use it when he didn't want to join the rest of us plebs waiting in the other two lanes.

Mind you, our joy will be tempered by irritation in 18 months time when the lane is again closed to us to allow Olympic traffic (whatever that might mean) to cruise effortlessly into London.

Bus lanes make sense in congested city centres, but there's no place for them on motorways and arterial roads.

onthelimit 17:24 04 Oct 10

Terry Wogan will be furious!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now