Burning Issue!

ezypcy 15:47 27 Mar 06

On Friday I heard a femail radio presenter say that she was borrowing a film on dvd from her friend to watch over the weekend.In reality,what is the differences between this situation and someone burning a copy (without payment)for a friend?
We all know the legal issues involved.But,why is she not breaking any rules? Was it a farce!!

And what is the situation regarding burning a private copy of dvd sent by postal fim club!

surfmonkey #:@} 16:33 27 Mar 06

Copyright gives the creators of certain kinds of material rights to control ways their material can be used. These rights start as soon as the material is recorded in writing or in any other way. There is no official registration system. The rights cover:

copying;

adapting;

distributing;

communicating to the public by electronic transmission (including by broadcasting and in an on demand service);

renting or lending copies to the public; and,

performing in public
Just buying a copy of a book, CD, video, computer program, etc. does not necessarily give you the right to make further copies (even for private use) or play or show them in public. The right to do these things will generally remain with the copyright owner, whose permission you would need. You should note that photocopying a work, scanning a work to produce an electronic copy and downloading a copy of a work which is in an electronic form (eg. on a CD-ROM or an on-line database) all involve copying the work so that permission to copy is generally needed.

pj123 18:02 27 Mar 06

Not very clear is it?

I belong to a DVD/CD/VHS rental club. If I rent a film over the weekend I expect that the rest of my family would be watching it as well. Is that classed as broadcasting?

Wouldn't really want to copy it though. Having watched it once I would probably never watch it again. Proof of that is: I have taped many TV programmes in the past and they are still here sitting on VHS tape. I have never watched them since the first recording.

spuds 18:06 27 Mar 06

There's nothing stopping you from 'borrowing' a magazine, newspaper or most things in life from anyone. It's when you start making copies or abusing that fact, that brings in all sort of legalities.

pj123 18:07 27 Mar 06

PS. Most of them will be repeated time and time again on TV so why bother to copy them to DVD?

Same with Audio tracks. I don't buy CDs because I can switch on my radio and listen to them all every day all day long. Why do I need to copy them?

bremner 18:16 27 Mar 06

You are legally mistaken when it comes to DVD/CD's

To quote from a recently bought DVD "unauthorised copying, LENDING, public performance, radio or TV broadcasting of this DVD is prohibited.

Of course in reality the authorities are not going to be chasing anyone lending a DVD to their friends or neighbours but is is a breach of the rights of the producer.

spuds 21:07 27 Mar 06

Note that I did not mention DVD/CD's. I did mention that making copies or 'abusing the fact'"brings in all sorts of legalities".

ezypcy 21:41 27 Mar 06

Anyone ever known a young child watch a film just once?
This behaviour is what made the Telly Tubbies so popular...."again,again,again".

When I tell a good bedtime story ,I am instructed to "tell it again".If only I could put onto paper....lol instead of wasting my time with you lot.

Forum Editor 23:35 27 Mar 06

between what the letter of the law allows and what ordinary people can do on a daily basis without much fear of retribution.

That fact can lead people like me into all kinds of trouble, and that's certainly the case where the copyright and Intellectual property rights legislation is concerned. On the one hand I have a duty to the magazine, and to my own sense of integrity to offer advice that is strictly in line with the current legislation, yet on the other hand I know full well that millions of people are involved in technical infringements every day, with hardly any risk of being prosecuted.

When you buy a CD or a DVD you are technically buying the polycarbonate (and other substances) from which they are made, plus a copyright licence to listen to/watch the content as many times as you like. You don't 'own' the music or film; what you buy is a licence to enjoy the content as often as you like. If you hire a DVD you pay for a licence to watch it as many times as you like within a limited time-frame - extendable on payment of a further hire charge.

Copying a CD or DVD that you've bought is technically illegal in the UK, but you are very unlikely to be prosecuted if you make a single copy for your own use, in fact I've never heard of a case being brought in such circumstances. If you make multiple copies and give them away you are definitely courting trouble - that would be classed as 'distributing', and it's even worse if you sell the copies. You may not legally lend your DVDs or CDs either, but of course millions of us do it every day.

Watching a DVD at home in the company of your own family is perfectly OK, but don't invite a dozen of your friends round - that would be a definite breach of your copyright licence, as it would if you sat around watching it at the annual get together of your local gardening club.

Aa with so many things a good helping of commonsense is all that's required. Use that, and you'll be fine - blatantly flout the law and you'll risk being caught.

De Marcus™ 23:58 27 Mar 06

"lol instead of wasting my time with you lot."

ezypcy? eqskey?

The one and the same wind up merchant?

I'd say so.....

DieSse 00:20 28 Mar 06

"lol instead of wasting my time with you lot."

I read that as a self-deprecating jokey comment that he/she should be writing down bedside stories instead of spending time on line.

*wind up merchant*

Whilst copyright issues do often raise their heads on this forum, legitimate questions were actually asked, and the FE and others have made sensible comments - where's the wind-up?

My view is that the copyright laws need to be revised, as they are badly drafted, and *legally* make us all copyright infringers just by the act of copying a CD/DVD for our own use, or lending one to a friend. Plus there are IMO, other problems not part of this particular thread.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…