Bumper Conker Season...

Quickbeam 10:57 09 Aug 07

Just got back from a walk with my dog, and can report that this year will yield a bumper conker crop in Entwood.

This is splendid news for my family, as we still have a family (14 persons) late summer party including the annual Conker Knock-out... who needs expensive computer games when so much fun can be had for free... last Conker standing wins!!!

The old pastimes survive yet another generation...

wee eddie 11:05 09 Aug 07

spiders don't like conkers.

An Old Wives Tale that appears, in my experience, to work.

You just need a few in each room. Good for about 6 months. I always freeze a few for the spiders return in the New Year.

Quickbeam 11:28 09 Aug 07

Do they emit some sort of gas/chemical as they stand?

€dstowe 11:35 09 Aug 07

If you're thinking of play conkers, don't forget the Health & Safety considerations.

Full chemical protective clothing to guard against allergic contact with any nuts which may shatter.

Full eye protection.

Chain mail or jointed steel abattoir gauntlets to guard against being hit by the nuts.

Fully non-slip mats to play the game on.

There are probably more but my mind isn't devious enough to have thought of them yet.

€dstowe 11:36 09 Aug 07

Good lord, if they emit gas as well you will need self contained breathing apparatus.

Quickbeam 11:49 09 Aug 07

None of that PC/Health & Safety nonsense here... we live life on the edge!

spuds 12:14 09 Aug 07

Plenty of conkers on the tree's around our location as well. But as €dstowe as suggested, Health and Safety as come into being. School's have already posted and issued warning notices about playing conkers on school premises, definitely not allowed around here.

wee eddie 13:23 09 Aug 07

to protect your Nuts!

€dstowe 13:36 09 Aug 07

I've just been out and also seen the huge crop of all sorts of nuts this year - conkers, sweet chestnuts, cob nuts, almonds and walnuts. Squirrels are already having a good time with the beech mast.

anskyber 14:20 09 Aug 07

Sure sign of a hard winter to come.

Brumas 15:42 09 Aug 07

I like your spirit!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…