Bullets and the damage they can cause

Curio 18:20 19 Jun 08

High speed photography shows us. Imagine a flesh wound by these projectiles
click here

jakimo 18:58 19 Jun 08

Last year videos were shown of the damage caused to the human body by a high velocity rifle bullet,
the results were quite astounding & stomach turning

laurie53 20:48 19 Jun 08

HV bullets are not favoured by killing professionals because they pass straight through and do not kill or disable straight away, unless they hit a major bone or organ.

LV or soft nosed (illegal) bullets are far better.

They leave a good large hole with plenty of torn flesh, and septicemia with any luck, and a non-effective non-combatant who has to be fed and cared for.

I've seen a soft nosed bullet even as small as a .22 leave a 6" hole in a piece of cardboard.

peter99co 21:01 19 Jun 08

Did the bullet that turned end over end get banned?

laurie53 21:12 19 Jun 08

I wouldn't have thought there was any market for it, it would be too inaccurate.

When Barnes Wallis developed the Grand Slam and Tallbuoy "earthquake" bombs they found that as it went through the sound barrier it "toppled", i.e. turned end over end, and lost all accuracy.

They had to fit slightly offset fins to the tail to impart spin, which cured the problem.

peter99co 21:25 19 Jun 08

It did exist and could knock over a fifty gallon oil drum full of water.

laurie53 21:40 19 Jun 08

If it hit it!

They certainly existed; I've made them.

DrScott 22:03 19 Jun 08

worked for a little bit in the slums of South Africa where gun crime is rife.

Put it this way, if you're shot anywhere other then your lower leg or foot you have a stupidly high chance of dying. It really isn't like the movies.

peter99co 22:07 19 Jun 08

It was an Armalite Rifle that used the bullet I referred to wasn't it?

WhiteTruckMan 22:30 19 Jun 08

If anything sums it up neatly, its that. There's non of this rubbish you see on the big screen (or the small one) where the hero cops for one in the leg then 5 minutes later has nothing more than a bit of a limp, or a shoulder wound but is still able to climb a rope/shoot with both hands/have a fist fight etc.

Even if 'fortunate' enough to have a through wound without hitting bone, a major blood vessel or an organ, chances are the bullet will have dragged some foreign matter into the wound -typically strands of clothing- which will infect and kill in a surprisingly short time, especially in hotter climes.

Kids in gangs who carry guns really, truly have no idea just what a firearm will do to a person. All they know is that they make a noise and the other person stops bothering them. And thats a frightening though, because a kid will never think of anyconsequences before pulling a trigger.

WTM

Chegs ®™ 07:02 20 Jun 08

My father was involved with armament research many years ago.He often remarked(when conversations switched to guns after yet another news item)that bullets can be easily modified to make them more lethal and that the worst damage caused to pigs(they used pigs to test weapons on)was from a round ball(muskets)which left an 8" hole on entry & a much larger exit wound.

At a farm I used to work on during school holidays,the garage contained an array of various air-rifle pellets.The farmer had bought them many years earlier whilst on holiday in the USA,the pellets came in hollow-point,round-faced,flat-faced and other shapes.We tried a few types on rabbits,some would leave 1" or more holes in the rabbit.There was even an "armour-piercing" slug,had a high-tensile pellet with a plastic skirt and was able to punch holes through fence posts.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…