Bulb Fittings

morddwyd 19:25 09 Mar 15

I've been shopping for a table lamp today. Out of, I suppose, 50 to 70 that I looked at, only one had a standard bayonet fitting for the bulb.

All the others were Edison screw, E27.

Is this another EU introduction by the back door?

john bunyan 19:34 09 Mar 15

morddwyd

I do sympathise as I have to keep large bayonet, large screw, and small versions of the above for various lights, plus GU11 for the kitchen. (90% are large bayonet in the rest of the house). I have to say though - and you are a safety expert- that the large screw fitting seems the easiest to change. I was struggling one room recently to remove a bayonet bulb were the side slots and spring connectors were a bit dodgy, causing me to swear a bit....

The Old Mod 06:37 10 Mar 15

My wife just bought some new wall lights for the hall, the lamp holders are SES, small Edison screw. Over the rest of the house there are SBC small bayonet cap, standard bayonet cap, as well as standard ES. I said to her gone are the days where if a lamp went in a main room you could pinch one from the spare room until you can get a replacement! In our house there are so many different lamp holders and different types of lamps like LED, CFL, etc. that keeping spares is a problem. The problem used to be sometimes when removing an Edison screw lamp was that they would stick in the holder caused by heat and age meaning that just the glass bulb would come away leaving the thread in the holder, but with modern lamps running cooler this shouldn't happen as much.

Edison screw lamps predominately were used in industrial premises for larger type lamps. I was an electrician all my working life, and when I started work even fluorescent tubes were standard bayonet cap!

Quickbeam 08:29 10 Mar 15

I now have a bag of over 40 lightbulbs, all of various different fittings and outputs.

In the '70s they were all one std bayonet available in 40/60 & 100 watt output. The choice was as simple as choosing a TV channel from the three column listing page...

Forum Editor 09:23 10 Mar 15

"Is this another EU introduction by the back door?"

I'm not sure that 'back door' is the appropriate description - ES lamps were in use throughout Europe long before the EU came into being. Nowadays it makes perfect sense to standardise things like this, so that manufacturers have access to a wider market, and consumers can choose from a wider range of lights.

Quickbeam 09:48 10 Mar 15

If you have your house rewired, you'll almost certainly be given bayonet fittings by default for the ceiling roses unless you ask otherwise.

Batch 14:18 10 Mar 15

Adapters are widely (and inexpensively) available. E.g. just go to ebay and search for es to bc adaptor (or bc to es adaptor or whatever).

Only problem is they make the bulb sit about 1 1/2 inches (3.81cm if you are in the EU) further out.

morddwyd 19:06 10 Mar 15

I have no problem using ES lamps, and I brought back quite a lot from Germany. I also have no problem with adaptors, and use both both ES to BC and vice versa.

I just don't think I should have to look quite so hard to find a UK fitting within the UK!

"Nowadays it makes perfect sense to standardise things like this, so that manufacturers have access to a wider market, and consumers can choose from a wider range of lights."

No doubt we will all soon be using Schuko plugs and LH drive cars!

Graham* 19:47 10 Mar 15

I recently purchased this £2.27, free delivery. It came from China, how can they make a profit?

Graham* 19:49 10 Mar 15

Try again click here

bumpkin 23:01 10 Mar 15

* how can they make a profit?*

That I cannot answer but having many bulbs 14 just in my living room and dining room (mainly wall lights) there are 3 different types and fittings just in 2 rooms. Many more throughout the house of even different types. I used to buy cheap imports in packs of 6 or 10 at a time. Guaranteed life of X ammount of hours or a free replacement, I am not going to check the number of hours in use or send it back or even contact them which they know. My point being that cheap bulbs are sometimes a false economy, I recently had to replace 6 in a fortnight mainly halogen which are relatively expensive even if bought "cheaply" in packs from abroad. Running out of stock now so next time will buy from a reputably UK wholesaler and see if there is any difference (may not be) but I don't want to be forever replacing bulbs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac