BT's broadband 'line loss' limits

CurlyWhirly 08:41 17 Sep 04

I have pasted this comment off the BT Wholesale website:

"Following successful trials, BT has announced that it will remove the distance related limits for the most popular broadband services, bringing potentially more than a million more homes and businesses within reach of broadband. The trial data indicate that removing the limit means more than 99.8 per cent of lines connected to a broadband exchange should now be able to get an ADSL broadband service."

While I am VERY PLEASED that the distance limits have been scrapped for the 512 kb service and extended for the 1 mb service I can't understand why BT needed to run a 'trial' to see how far broadband could stretch to?
Surely it's technical people would have been able to work this out before hand?
I was expecting to have connection problems with my 1 mb upgrade (from 512 kb) due to the length of my line but in nearly a week of using it I have had NO problems whatsoever which I am VERY pleased with!

I personally feel that BT were VERY cautious with their line loss limits hence the state we are in now with very nearly 100% of the population being able to get broadband.

oresome 19:39 17 Sep 04

Engineers by nature are cautious people.

I expect that pressure from the bean counters and marketing people forced the issue.

CurlyWhirly 22:46 17 Sep 04

bean counters?

brodgar 22:20 18 Sep 04

I too was pleased when BT scrapped the distance limit for 512kb. I am 7km from exchange. I applied for Broadband on Sept 6 and BT engineer arrived on Sept 10, tested line and announced line not suitable for broadband. A new line from the exchange will be required to be laid. So I am stuck with dial-up, which since the exchange was enabled 2 months ago now only connects at 14.4 Kbps

Mikè 11:17 19 Sep 04

Not too sure but I think BT have an obligation to provide a faster connection than this. Will look it up.

Mikè 11:23 19 Sep 04

Sounds like you may have a Dacs box connected this is a multiplexing device ( a sort of combiner to enable two lines to work with one exchange line). If you speak to BT nicely they may remove it.

audi4 14:08 19 Sep 04

does anyone know what the number is for checking the bt line as towhether the line is enabled? 1 am 7.5K from digital exchange, checking online just tells me i may not get it

CurlyWhirly 14:19 19 Sep 04

I am really sorry to hear that you are stuck on 14.4 kb.
I have just upgraded to 1 mb from 512 kb and even though I doubted whether I could get the faster service (due to my line being quite long) I have had NO connection problems at all in a week of using it.

spuds 15:47 19 Sep 04

You could try BT on 151, or check your exchange click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…