BT gears up for 'max' broadband

CurlyWhirly 11:10 15 Oct 05

click here

"BT said it was committed to ensuring that everyone could take advantage of the broadband revolution wherever they live in the UK"

"BT is committed to ensuring that everyone benefits from the broadband revolution whether they live in valleys, villages or city centres."

Above are 2 quotes from the above article and I wonder if BT will *really* be able to pull it off as I have read that if you are too far away from an exchange (as in my case) then you hit a brick wall so what has changed in these 'max' broadband trials as I thought that I had already reached the maximum download speed that my line can handle already i.e. 1mb?

I am a little confused!
This new trial *isn't* really ADSL 2+ is it?
I don't think so as ADSL 2+ isn't planned for a while yet and I thought that it offered speeds of up to 24 mb as opposed to the maximum 8 mb as mentioned in the article.

Jackcoms 11:23 15 Oct 05
  CurlyWhirly 11:36 15 Oct 05

It appears that this 'max' broadband trial *isn't* based on ADSL2+ technology then according to the link that you posted, as this is mentioned on the BT website:

"While existing ADSL technology will be used to provide rate-adaptive downstream line speeds ranging from 288 Kbit/s to 8 Mbit/s, BT Wholesale is currently conducting internal technical trials using ADSL2 + technology as well as evaluating VDSL technology and aims to deliver downstream speeds of up to 24 Mbit/s +. BT Wholesale aims to announce its plans to conduct wider tests for ADSL2+ and VDSL in 2006"

I don't know whether I will be any better off with either 'max' broadband or ADSL2+ to be honest as I have NO way of knowing how long my telephone line actually is?

I have been to click here and entered both my telephone number and postcode and I now know that I am 2.86 km from the exchange but that is ONLY the straight line distance NOT the actual length of my line which could be considerably longer.

I suppose I will just have to wait and see whether I can have access to a faster broadband service when the time comes!

spuds 13:02 15 Oct 05

It was only a couple of years ago, when Tony Blair was stating that everyone would have broadband and BT were stating that their exchanges would need mass refurbishments, as the system could not cope with outdated equipment.One of the constant customer responses by BT and ISP was for lack of provision was due to a distance factor from your premises to BT exchanges. Looks like things have now began to improve on a great scale, and all the gloom and doom it is now being positively addressed .

Chegs ® 14:55 15 Oct 05

I'm staying on 2Mb ADSL until Fast TCP becomes available.This is claimed to allow upto 8Gbs!! Its unfortunately only available(alledgedly)to those who live close to an exchange,but they said that about ADSL in the early days,so who knows.

click here

Forum Editor 16:27 15 Oct 05

something in the order of £1.5 billion on upgrading exchanges so far, and no doubt there's a good deal more to spend. That's in addition to the billions that are being spent on upgrading and maintaining the existing telecoms wired network.

I'm sure that at some point we'll all have access to a very fast internet connection, and then............

And then what? Most people will never access or use a thousandth of one percent of all the information that's out there on the internet - in future most of the bandwidth will be consumed by people downloading films and music.

I'm looking forward to my 8Mb connection in the meantime.

CurlyWhirly 16:55 15 Oct 05

Spuds - It seems strange that the 'distance factor' won't seem to make as much difference as BT originally thought unless this is more to do with using newer technology (i.e. ADSL 2+) and yet even so when this is available, I have read in articles that ONLY people who are living within 1km from the exchange will be able to benefit from the faster speeds?

Chegs ® - Crikey that TCP article is from 2003 but I suppose it could become reality one day?
It would certainly be fast that's for sure. lol

Forum Editor - BT do seem to have spent a lot of money (£1.5 billion as you point out) on upgrading the exchanges but I expect they know when they are on to a god thing as IMHO broadband is BT's lifeline with the ever dwindling revenue from landlines caused by BT customers switching to other Telecom companies and also the widespread use of mobile phones.

Good luck to them I say as I have my phone line mainly for broadband and certainly NOT for telephone usage!

I am interested in having a faster broadband service for the simple reason that I am looking forward to the exciting prospect of having access to some of the BBC's television archive which I read will come about in the near future.

Also I am looking forward to broadband TV not to mention the *legal* streaming of TV programmes and music.
It should be a very exciting time ahead and I for one can't wait.

Long live broadband I say!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5