BT engineers

spikeychris 19:52 25 Jul 04

can sometimes get a bad press. I've just spent a week at Tatton park and the demands I placed on them were horrendous. For 51 weeks of the year Tatton park (Cheshire) is just a park but for one week it plays host to the RHS flower show and the logistics are a nightmare, they installed ISDN for 170 broadcasts and Internet access for the buses that were there.

On the occasions that there was problems, like a producer who spilt pims in a connection box they arrived five minutes after I called them and replaced it. They even moved the entire system to accommodate us.

Cheers lads and lasses.......

mammak 21:27 25 Jul 04

Chris for my own reasons could'nt agree with more,
Big free round for BT engineers.

Chegs ® 21:48 25 Jul 04

I hate them.Everytime I see one up a pole near my home,my telephone/adsl goes bellyup within a few days.I am presently without a house telephone,BT say "their computer says alls fine with my connection" Its been off for over a week,its not the 1st time they have done this to me.I had my phone switched off at my last address,its the 3rd time its happened at my present address in 12 months.If I could change provider and STILL get ADSL,I would!

Forum Editor 00:01 26 Jul 04

when I'm on clients' premises, and I must say I have rarely met one who wasn't unfailingly helpful and eager to work with me to get a professional and satisfactory result. I certainly can't remember an occasion when I felt an engineer had let BT or me down. A few weeks ago an engineer tried hard to coax a recalcitrant line to accept its 1Mb ADSL connection for the first time - even to the extent of going up to the exchange and tweaking where he wasn't strictly supposed to tweak. It worked, and I was able to leave a happy solicitors office with their new wireless network up and running the same day.

It's the engineers who are to a large extent the customer-facing (to use the fashionable phrase)side of BT. They meet us face to face, and they're the only BT staff who ever do that. I think they do a great job, and I would like to add my vote of thanks to the others.

€dstowe 14:57 26 Jul 04

I don't think the problem is with the engineers themselves but the naff system and equipment they have to work under.

I have just bought a property and arranged for the phone to be connected. I tried the line and it seemed OK but attempting to dial the number that it was supposed to be resulted in a dead connection. After spending ages getting through to a human being (pressing this, that and the other on my mobile) they tested the line and told me it was working. I told them it wasn't. They told me it was because their test equipment said it was. After much argument, the girl on the other end arranged to send an engineer out.

"We can't do it in less than ten days. We can offer a morning or an afternoon visit."

"A am a new subscriber. Is this what you call service?"

She repeated the same thing.

As this new property is my "country retreat" there is no prospect of any other telcom company providing a service so I reluctantly agreed.

Now, on the due day the engineer phoned the mobile number I had left with them and said he would be with us in 30 minutes and, indeed he was. My father, who was waiting in on him, let the engineer in and allowed him to do his work. It turned out that the previous week the pole outside had been renewed and consequently all the cabling had been re-routed and re-connected. What had happened was that my incoming cable had been connected to a dummy number so incoming calls went nowhere. It took about 10 seconds for the engineer to realise the problem and about five minutes up the pole to correct it.

So, one up to the engineer, one down to the contractors that BT employ to do their heavy work and a hundred down to the BT Faults service for the huge delay in responding to a request from (effectively) new customer and then disputing that there was a fault.

ventanas 15:13 26 Jul 04

Had just the same situation a few months back. Trying to get the idiots at the other end to actually take heed of what you are saying is hopeless. When I finally made them understand (after three separate calls) the engineer called and fixed what was a BT problem quickly and efficiently. A very cheerful chap, who knew just what he was doing.

FE. A happy solicitors office?? I've worked in them for 41 years. Never seen such a thing :-))

When i was on dial up, i kept getting a dropped connection, then the phone got very noisy. A very helpful engineer diagnosed a life expired connection on the telegraph pole. Rewired the connection back to the house and when he got back to base, checked internet connectio. Upgraded to ADSL since then with no further problems.

Mister Splendid©® 16:06 26 Jul 04

My experience of BT is very similar. The engineers are always quick and efficient. I'ts the people on the end of the telephone who are often completely useless. But not always, sometimes you get to speak to someone who reflects the efficiency and helpfulness of the engineers.

€dstowe 17:15 26 Jul 04

Quote: "sometimes you get to speak to someone who reflects the efficiency and helpfulness of the engineers."

One of the most irritating things of the BT customer service is trying to get to speak to anyone at all.

By the time you've gone through the multiplicity of button pressing combinations, even the most placid person would be getting a frayed temper.

watchful 21:32 26 Jul 04

I cannot praise BT highly enough having recently moved house, we were connected the same day despite only giving 24 hours notice when it should have been 7 days.

Chegs ® Just a thought - have you paid your bill?

oresome 23:52 26 Jul 04

I used to report many line faults to BT.

In the good old days, I spoke to the engineer at the local exchange and exchanged audio signals with him, looped the line etc until both parties were happy as to where the fault lay.

Then came centralised and remote testing. Leave the circuit number with them and a description of the fault and they would test it at their convenience. Ring back the next day to be told line tests ok on lots of occasions when the line patently wasn't OK.

Faults were always resolved when we finally persuaded them to send an engineer out, but this wasn't easy and was often done with the threat of charging us for the time if no fault was found.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…